Asbestos Litigation in New York & New Jersey
Asbestos litigation is different than the typical personal injury lawsuit. Asbestos cases tend to involve many of the same defendants (companies that are sued), many of the same law firms representing plaintiffs (the people who file the lawsuit), many of the same law firms representing the defendants and many of the same expert witnesses.
In asbestos litigation, there are also many job sites that are commonly litigated because they are places where many workers were exposed to asbestos and became sick with mesothelioma, lung cancer or asbestosis. Asbestos litigation is also different because the plaintiffs usually have serious illnesses that require that the case be accelerated to give the injured person the best chance of possible of having their day in court.
For all of these reasons, many courts in the United States have set up “asbestos dockets” where cases can be filed and proceed more efficiently under special rules applicable to asbestos cases. We have published a guide for the asbestos litigation system in New York and New Jersey below.
New York City Asbestos Litigation
For residents of New York City or people who were exposed to asbestos in New York City (i.e. in any of the five boroughs of New York), and who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, lung cancer or asbestosis that is sufficiently severe, cases can be filed in the New York City Asbestos Litigation (“NYCAL”). NYCAL cases are governed by a Case Management Order that applies to all cases.
The NYCAL docket is divided into two sections: in extremis cases (i.e. those involving people living with mesothelioma or lung cancer) and FIFO cases (i.e. those involving predominantly people who are deceased at the time of filing or whose medical condition is not sufficiently severe). The in extremis docket, which consists of cases filed during two “windows” of time each year, is an accelerated trial track in which cases can be completed in as soon as one year or less.
The FIFO cases (FIFO stands for “first in, first out”) are handled in the order in which they are filed and generally take longer because of the lack of medical exigency. For more information on the NYCAL asbestos litigation docket, go to www.nycal.net. To read about a recent jury verdict that Levy Konigsberg LLP has obtained in the New York City Asbestos Litigation, go to https://www.levylaw.com/mesothelioma-lawyer.php
Upstate New York Asbestos Litigation
There are various asbestos litigation dockets in Upstate New York. Justice Charles C. Merrell presides over the 5th Judicial District (consisting of the following counties: Onondaga, Oneida, Oswego, Herkimer, Lewis, and Jefferson) is handled by a single Judge experienced in asbestos cases. The 5th Judicial District cases are governed by a special case management order for asbestos cases.
The 5th Judicial District asbestos litigation is centered in Syracuse, New York where many of the court proceedings and trials take place. For more information on the 5th Judicial District Asbestos Litigation, go to http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/5jd/rules.shtml and then click on the document entitled “Asbestos Case Management Rules (3/01)”. To read about the largest verdict in the history of the 5th Judicial District Asbestos Litigation, go to https://www.levylaw.com/newyork-mesothelioma-lawyers.php
Justice Richard T. Aulisi presides over all asbestos cases arising in the 4th Judicial District (consisting of the following counties: St. Lawrence, Franklin, Clinton, Essex, Hamilton, Warren, Washington, Fulton, Saratoga, Montgomery, Schenectady), the 3rd Judicial District (consisting of the following counties: Sullivan, Ulster, Greene, Columbia, Albany, Schoharie, Rensselaer) and the 6th Judicial District (Delaware, Otsego, Broome, Chenango, Madison, Cortland, Tioga, Chemung, Tompkins, and Schuyler).
Many court proceedings in this combined asbestos docket take place in Johnstown, New York and in Schenectady, New York. To read about the largest verdict in the history of the 4th Judicial District Asbestos Litigation, go to https://www.levylaw.com/asbestos-lawyers.php
Justice Daniel J. Doyle presides over the asbestos docket based in Rochester, New York. This is the 7th Judicial District Asbestos Litigation (which includes the following counties: Steuben, Yates, Livingston, Seneca, Cayuga, Ontario, Wayne, Monroe). For more information on this asbestos litigation docket, you can go to http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/7jd/courts/s&c/asbestos.
There are also accelerated asbestos litigation dockets in both Erie County (Buffalo) and in Niagara, NY.
New Jersey Asbestos Litigation
For residents of New Jersey or people who were exposed to asbestos in New Jersey, and who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, lung cancer, or asbestosis, cases can be filed in the New Jersey Asbestos Litigation based in Middlesex County, New Jersey.
The Honorable Ana C. Viscomi presides over the New Jersey Asbestos Litigation. Cases are tried at the courthouse located in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Cases involving people living with mesothelioma can often get to trial in approximately one year. For more information about the New Jersey Asbestos Litigation, go to http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mass-tort/asbestos/department.htm. For information on a recent jury verdict in the New Jersey Asbestos Litigation, go to https://www.levylaw.com/new-jersey-mesothelioma-attorneys.php
There have also been some asbestos cases litigated in Bergen County, New Jersey. Levy Konigsberg obtained the largest compensatory damages verdict ever upheld in an asbestos case in the United States. This verdict was obtained in Bergen County, NJ. The jury awarded $30.3 million to our client, the family of a man who died from mesothelioma, and the verdict was upheld on appeal and paid in full by the trial defendant, plus additional money in interest.
To read more about the this historic New Jersey asbestos verdict, go to https://www.levylaw.com/newjersey-mesothelioma-verdict.php
ATTENTION: Mesothelioma has no known cure and often causes severe pain, suffering,
and other types of damage, such as loss of consortium, and loss of income.
Additionally, due to the exceedingly high cost of mesothelioma treatments,
many families exhaust savings and accumulate financial debt in order to
pay for the medical expenses of their family member.
Under the law of most states, pain and suffering from mesothelioma may be compensated through the award of money damages, usually obtained with the help of experienced mesothelioma attorneys. In some states other types of damages may also be recovered.
Asbestos litigation affords mesothelioma victims the opportunity to receive financial compensation and hold accountable the companies that caused their asbestos exposure.
IMPORTANT: If you or your family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should get in touch with a mesothelioma lawyer as early as possible to determine if you have a mesothelioma case and to:
- Preserve your rights to bring a legal action against the responsible parties within the limited time frame allowed by law, known as statute of limitations;
Obtain maximum compensation in your case by being able to:
- Preserve evidence and establish facts of the asbestos exposure while the claimant is still alive and able to provide information;
- File and resolve a lawsuit against the responsible parties before they file for bankruptcy or, if they already have, to obtain compensation before their bankruptcy trust funds run out of money;
- Expedite your case, as courts tend to give higher priority to mesothelioma lawsuits where the claimant is still alive.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
NOTE: While our offices are located in the states of New York, New Jersey, and Georgia, many of our mesothelioma lawyers are licensed to practice law in a number of U.S. states and have the capability and extensive experience of representing mesothelioma clients throughout the United States. You are encouraged to contact us with any questions.
- New Jersey Mesothelioma Lawyer Helps Obtain Ruling on Equipment Liability
- Levy Konigsberg Teams With Mesothelioma Clients to Help Get Talc Out Of Baby Powder
- J&J Removes Talc from Baby Powder - How Does This Affect the Mesothelioma Lawsuits?
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Landmark Appeal in Asbestos-Containing Talcum Powder Case
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $750 million Baby Powder Punitive Damages Verdict Against J&J
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $37 million Baby Powder Verdict Against J&J
- LK Wins $325 Million Mesothelioma Verdict Against Johnson & Johnson for Asbestos in Baby Powder (This case is currently awaiting final review on appeal)
- Boston Jury Awards $43.1 Million Verdict in Cigarette Smoking-Asbestos Exposure Lung Cancer Trial
- LK's Historic $117 Million Verdict in Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder Mesothelioma Trial
- LK Wins Ruling Allowing Mesothelioma Ship Worker’s Case To Proceed in New York
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Ruling in Mesothelioma & Asbestos Brake Case
- LK Mesothelioma Department - Highlights and Lessons Learned in 2017
- A Letter of Gratitude To Our Dear Veterans
- LK Wins $16.5 Million Verdict In New York’s First Cosmetic Talc Trial Involving A Woman With Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- LK Wins Mesothelioma Ruling for Navy Serviceman and Family
- Mesothelioma Law Firm Collects $7.98 Million for Power Plant Worker
- Kayaking for Mesothelioma: Reflections on a Father-Son Trip
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Motion on Behalf of U.S.S. Roan Navy Veteran Who Developed Mesothelioma in New York
- New York City Judge Rules that Asbestos Lung Cancer Case Can Proceed to Trial – Levy Konigsberg, LLP Successfully Argues Defendant Waived their Right to Cross-Examine
- Levy Konigsberg Wins $7 Million Mesothelioma Verdict in NY’s First Ever Asbestos Contaminated Consumer Talcum Powder Trial
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale