Asbestos Lung Cancer
ASBESTOS HAS BEEN LINKED TO CANCERS OTHER THAN MESOTHELIOMA. IN PARTICULAR, THERE IS AN INCREASED RISK OF CONTRACTING LUNG CANCER FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO ASBESTOS. LUNG CANCER CAUSED BY ASBESTOS EXPOSURE IS OFTEN REFERRED TO ASBESTOS LUNG CANCER.
Lung cancer is most notably connected with cigarette smoking. However, asbestos cancer attorneys cite medical documents showing that asbestos is, likewise, a potent lung carcinogen, especially when combined with cigarette smoking. This information is very important for people who have a history of asbestos exposure and have been diagnosed with lung cancer or have shown early symptoms of lung cancer.
Studies have shown that when asbestos fibers and cigarette smoke are inhaled into the lungs, a synergistic effect occurs that multiplies the risk of each carcinogen in bringing about lung cancer. Asbestos, on its own, is related to a significantly high amount of cancer diagnoses, including mesothelioma, but, coupled with cigarette smoking, asbestos often yields exponential cancer growth. Some of the most comprehensive studies on the subject of the effects of smoking and asbestos lung cancer were conducted in the 1960s and 1970s by the late Dr. Irving Selikoff of Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City.
OSHA has stated that: “Of all the diseases caused by asbestos, lung cancer constitutes the greatest health risk for American asbestos workers. Lung cancer has been responsible for more than half of the excess mortality from asbestos exposure in some occupational cohorts.”1
Under well-established criteria, a substantial occupational history of asbestos exposure provides a sufficient basis to assign a causative role to asbestos in the causation of a person’s lung cancer.
The early symptoms of asbestos lung cancer are similar to the pleural mesothelioma symptoms: a recurring cough, shortness of breath, and blood in the phlegm (hemoptysis). The methods used to diagnose it are also similar to mesothelioma diagnosis techniques, with the only difference being that lung tissue, rather than pleural tissue, is taken for pathological examination to determine if asbestos lung cancer is present.
ATTENTION: If you or your loved one has been diagnosed with asbestos lung cancer or mesothelioma, we encourage you to speak to one of our experienced asbestos lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
1 Federal Register, Vol. 51, No. 119, Friday, June 20, 1986, Rules and regulations, pg. 22615.
- New Jersey Mesothelioma Lawyer Helps Obtain Ruling on Equipment Liability
- Levy Konigsberg Teams With Mesothelioma Clients to Help Get Talc Out Of Baby Powder
- J&J Removes Talc from Baby Powder - How Does This Affect the Mesothelioma Lawsuits?
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Landmark Appeal in Asbestos-Containing Talcum Powder Case
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $750 million Baby Powder Punitive Damages Verdict Against J&J
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $37 million Baby Powder Verdict Against J&J
- LK Wins $325 Million Mesothelioma Verdict Against Johnson & Johnson for Asbestos in Baby Powder (This case is currently awaiting final review on appeal)
- Boston Jury Awards $43.1 Million Verdict in Cigarette Smoking-Asbestos Exposure Lung Cancer Trial
- LK's Historic $117 Million Verdict in Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder Mesothelioma Trial
- LK Wins Ruling Allowing Mesothelioma Ship Worker’s Case To Proceed in New York
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Ruling in Mesothelioma & Asbestos Brake Case
- LK Mesothelioma Department - Highlights and Lessons Learned in 2017
- A Letter of Gratitude To Our Dear Veterans
- LK Wins $16.5 Million Verdict In New York’s First Cosmetic Talc Trial Involving A Woman With Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- LK Wins Mesothelioma Ruling for Navy Serviceman and Family
- Mesothelioma Law Firm Collects $7.98 Million for Power Plant Worker
- Kayaking for Mesothelioma: Reflections on a Father-Son Trip
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Motion on Behalf of U.S.S. Roan Navy Veteran Who Developed Mesothelioma in New York
- New York City Judge Rules that Asbestos Lung Cancer Case Can Proceed to Trial – Levy Konigsberg, LLP Successfully Argues Defendant Waived their Right to Cross-Examine
- Levy Konigsberg Wins $7 Million Mesothelioma Verdict in NY’s First Ever Asbestos Contaminated Consumer Talcum Powder Trial
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Know the DifferenceCommitted to Doing What's Right
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Thousands of Clients HelpedHear What They Have to Say
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale
Johnson & Johnson Will Stop Selling Talc Baby Powder Around the WorldView Article
- Class Actions,
- Cancer Cases,
- Firm News
Asbestos and Talcum Powder: How Are They Related?View Article
Levy Konigsberg Lands Historic Win for New Jersey Mesothelioma PlaintiffsView Article
- Firm News