Buffalo Lead Poisoning
The lead poisoning law firm of Levy Konigsberg LLP is using its decades of experience helping victims of childhood lead poisoning to fight the lead poisoning epidemic in Buffalo, New York. Childhood lead poisoning is a devastating disease with harms that extend well beyond just the individual child. Communities with high rates of childhood lead poisoning have higher crime, lower productivity, and lower social mobility. In individual children, lead poisoning inhibits a child’s brain development, which saps their potential away before they ever have a chance to see it. Even low levels of lead in a young child’s blood have been shown to cause cognitive deficits, lower IQ, and cause symptoms similar to ADHD.
Communities most affected by childhood lead poisoning are those with older housing stock. This is because lead-based paint was used in almost every home until 1978, when Congress banned the use of lead-based paint for residential purposes across the country. The City of Buffalo alone has an estimated 85,000 housing units built before the national ban, making them high risk for childhood lead poisoning. In fact, the city has a higher percentage of homes built before World War II than any large city in the country. That is why in 2014 Buffalo had the highest rates of childhood lead poisoning in New York State (outside of New York City)—three times higher than the rest of New York.
To compound matters, city health inspectors do not have the power to regularly inspect housing units in Buffalo. Even if regular inspections were permitted, the city inspectors are not certified to conduct lead-based paint inspections. Instead, Buffalo relies on the Eerie County Department of Health, which has fewer inspectors available for the entire county than the Buffalo Department of Health. In fact, Eerie County has so few lead inspectors, it would take more than 30 years for the Department of Health to inspect every high-risk housing unit in Buffalo.
Without a robust lead prevention program, the burden falls on landlords to ensure a home is lead-safe for young children to live in. If you live in an older home with a child under the age of seven, be on the lookout for chipping, peeling, or otherwise defective paint, and contact your landlord immediately if you see any. In addition, get your child tested for blood-lead levels on a regular basis. Finally, if your child tests positive for an elevated blood-lead level, contact an experienced lead poisoning attorney.
The lead poisoning attorneys at Levy Konigsberg LLP have decades of experience helping lead poisoned children get the compensation they need and deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation with one of our experience attorneys to see if you have a case.
LEAD POISONING NEWS
- Federal Court Awards $626 Million to Victims of the Flint Lead Water Crisis
- Levy Konigsberg Sues the City of Jackson on Behalf of 600 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Announces $600 Million Settlement for Victims of Flint Water Crisis
- Michigan Federal Court Rules EPA Must Defend Lawsuit in the Flint Water Crisis
- Lead-Contaminated Dust Poses Major Health Hazard to New York Tenants
- Federal Judge Allows Class Action to Proceed Against Embattled Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Housing Authority
- Lead Poisoning Victim to Sue Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Ninth Circuit Court Demands EPA Issue Updated Rules on Lead Poisoning
- Alexander County Housing Authority Failed to Protect Residents from Lead Poisoning
- Flint Lawyers Take on NYCHA for Lead Paint Violations
- Areas of Portland, Oregon Found With High Levels of Lead in Drinking Water
- One-Third of High Risk Children Untested for Lead Poisoning in California
- Levy Konigsberg Appointed Lead Counsel in Flint Water Litigation
- LK Attorney Comments on Lead Crisis in East Chicago, Indiana
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Legal Ruling in Flint Lead Poisoning Cases
- LK Files Third Wave of Lawsuits in Flint Michigan, Case Filings Now Total 75 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Files Flint Lawsuits for More Than 20 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Lead Poisoning Attorney Attends Flint, Michigan Town Hall
- Levy Konigsberg Attorney Comments on Flint Michigan Water Crisis Involving Lead
- Levy Konigsberg LLP Obtains Two Separate Lead Poisoning Awards in New Jersey
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale