What is the CFTC Whistleblower Program?
If you have evidence of fraud involving commodities, derivatives, or futures trading activities, you could be eligible for a reward under the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (“CFTC”) Whistleblower Program. Created by the Dodd-Frank Act, the CFTC Whistleblower Program rewards whistleblowers up to 30% of the recoveries for submitting complaints to the CFTC.
In addition, the CFTC’s Whistleblower Program protects you by prohibiting retaliation by employers against individuals who report information directly to the CFTC or who assist the CFTC in an investigation regarding violations of the Commodity Exchange Act.
How is the CFTC Whistleblower Program different than the False Claims Act?
The CFTC Whistleblower Program is different than other whistleblower programs. Unlike cases brought under the False Claims Act:
- Whistleblowers can remain anonymous;
- Whistleblowers disclose their information directly to the CFTC, not by filing a Complaint in Federal Court;
- Whistleblowers can be rewarded for reporting information to the CFTC even if other Government authorities collected the sanctions, so long as the fraud is related;
- You do not need to be the first to file so long as your information leads to a successful enforcement action; and
- The Government must collect at least $1,000,000.
What are some examples of Commodities Fraud schemes?
The CFTC Whistleblower Program is quickly gaining momentum. Since September, 2015, the CFTC has rewarded three whistleblowers for providing information to the CFTC with the highest reward being more than $10,000,000.
Examples of violations if of the Commodity Exchange Act include:
- Binary options, currency exchange, precocious metals and other “get rich quick” trading schemes;
- Unlicensed brokerage or exchange services;
- Price manipulation;
- Making false or misleading statements; and
- Concealing or attempting to cover up false statements or representations.
What can I do to stop Commodities Fraud?
If you have knowledge and proof of fraud involving commodities or futures trading activities, then give us a call today for a free consultation and case review with an experienced whistleblower attorney.
This information is for educational purposes. It is not offered as and does not constitute legal advice or legal opinions. You should not act or rely upon this information without seeking the advice of an attorney.
- 2017 False Claims Act Year in Review: Government Recovers $3.7 Billion
- Do You Work For A Motor Vehicle Manufacturer, Supplier, Or Dealership And Came Across Safety Violations Your Employer Is Trying To Keep Hidden? Don’t Let Them Get Away With It, Call Now!
- 2016 False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect $519 Million
- New Study Confirms Importance of Whistleblowers in Preventing Corporate Fraud
- Where was the Wells Fargo Whistleblower? Part II.
- Fiscal Year 2016 Record Year for SEC Whistleblowers - $57 Million Awarded to Whistleblowers!
- SEC Investigating Wells Fargo Fraudulent Practices
- Whistleblower First! SEC Rewards Whistleblower $3.75 Million For Reporting Violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Did Your Employer Actually Qualify For That Government Set-Aside It Received? Did Your Competition Win A Contract It Didn’t Deserve?
- Hiding Wealth Offshore To Avoid Paying Taxes Is Illegal And IRS Will Reward Those Who Blow The Whistle On Anyone That Tries
- Aware of Banks and Mortgage Lenders Defrauding the Government Through FHA or VA Insured Loans? Don’t “Short” The Market, Contact Us!
- U.S. Education Department Creates New Unit to Investigate Student Aid Fraud
- The False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect a Record $597 Million
- False Claims Act Update: Top Recoveries & Enforcement Trends from 2014
- Whistleblower Attorneys Recover $1M in Medicare Fraud Case
- Qui Tam Attorney Discusses the DOE’s Final Gainful Employment Rules
- Career Education Corporation Agrees to $10.5 Million Settlement Over Inflated Employment Rates
- Pharmaceutical Company to Pay $40.1 M to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Qui Tam Lawsuit Involving Healthcare Fraud Intervened by US Government
- Medicare Fraud Responsible for $23 Million Paid to the Dead in 2011?
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale