What is the False Claims Act?
The False Claims Act is a statute that creates liability for the presentment of false claims to the Government for payment. The qui tam provisions of the False Claims Act allow an individual, known as a whistleblower or relator, to file a civil lawsuit on behalf of the Government against corporations and individuals who have violated the False Claims Act and receive a portion of any recovery as an award.
The Federal Government has a Federal False Claims Act to prosecute fraud against the Federal Government. Many States, Cities, and even a County have their own False Claims Act statute.
Why do we have the False Claims Act?
The False Claims Act was originally enacted in 1863 by Abraham Lincoln to combat defense contract fraud. During the Civil War, the Union contracted with private companies to supply equipment to the soldiers to fight the Confederacy. However, these private companies saw this as an opportunity to get rich, not an opportunity to help win the war. Instead of receiving horses and guns, gun powder, and ammunition, Union soldiers were sent out to the battlefield with donkeys and rifles that could not fire. In response, the original False Claims Act was enacted to reward whistleblowers who came forward with evidence of fraud and the Union went on to win the war.
Today, fraud against the Government is costing the taxpayers billions of dollars each year. While Government Contract Fraud, including Defense Contract Fraud and Small Business Fraud, still exist, the most egregious fraud is in the form of Healthcare Fraud, including Medicare Fraud, Medicaid Fraud, Pharmaceutical Fraud, Stark Law Violations, and Anti-Kickback Statute Violations. Other prominent types of False Claims Act violations include Mortgage Fraud and Education Fraud.
Where can I learn more?
For more information on these specific types of False Claims Act violations, please review our in-depth pages to learn about common violations under the False Claims Act:
What can I do to stop False Claims Act Violations?
If you have knowledge and proof that a company or individual is submitting false claims, then give us a call today for a free consultation and case review with an experienced whistleblower attorney.
This information is for educational purposes. It is not offered as and does not constitute legal advice or legal opinions. You should not act or rely upon this information without seeking the advice of an attorney.
- 2017 False Claims Act Year in Review: Government Recovers $3.7 Billion
- Do You Work For A Motor Vehicle Manufacturer, Supplier, Or Dealership And Came Across Safety Violations Your Employer Is Trying To Keep Hidden? Don’t Let Them Get Away With It, Call Now!
- 2016 False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect $519 Million
- New Study Confirms Importance of Whistleblowers in Preventing Corporate Fraud
- Where was the Wells Fargo Whistleblower? Part II.
- Fiscal Year 2016 Record Year for SEC Whistleblowers - $57 Million Awarded to Whistleblowers!
- SEC Investigating Wells Fargo Fraudulent Practices
- Whistleblower First! SEC Rewards Whistleblower $3.75 Million For Reporting Violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Did Your Employer Actually Qualify For That Government Set-Aside It Received? Did Your Competition Win A Contract It Didn’t Deserve?
- Hiding Wealth Offshore To Avoid Paying Taxes Is Illegal And IRS Will Reward Those Who Blow The Whistle On Anyone That Tries
- Aware of Banks and Mortgage Lenders Defrauding the Government Through FHA or VA Insured Loans? Don’t “Short” The Market, Contact Us!
- U.S. Education Department Creates New Unit to Investigate Student Aid Fraud
- The False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect a Record $597 Million
- False Claims Act Update: Top Recoveries & Enforcement Trends from 2014
- Whistleblower Attorneys Recover $1M in Medicare Fraud Case
- Qui Tam Attorney Discusses the DOE’s Final Gainful Employment Rules
- Career Education Corporation Agrees to $10.5 Million Settlement Over Inflated Employment Rates
- Pharmaceutical Company to Pay $40.1 M to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Qui Tam Lawsuit Involving Healthcare Fraud Intervened by US Government
- Medicare Fraud Responsible for $23 Million Paid to the Dead in 2011?
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Know the DifferenceCommitted to Doing What's Right
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Thousands of Clients HelpedHear What They Have to Say
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale
Do You Work For A Motor Vehicle Manufacturer, Supplier, Or Dealership And Came Across Safety Violations Your Employer Is Trying To Keep Hidden? Don’t Let Them Get Away With It, Call Now!View Article
- Whistleblower / Qui Tam
2016 False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect $519 MillionView Article
- Whistleblower / Qui Tam
New Study Confirms Importance of Whistleblowers in Preventing Corporate FraudView Article
- Whistleblower / Qui Tam