WHISTLEBLOWERS CAN FIGHT CUSTOMS FRAUD BY FILING A QUI TAM CLAIM AGAINST THEIR EMPLOYER OR BUSINESS COMPETITOR UNDER THE FALSE CLAIMS ACT AND EARN FROM 15% TO 30% OF THE GOVERNMENT’S RECOVERY.
Your business competitor may be cheating customs and beating you out on important contracts and business deals, but what can you do about it?
Filing a claim under the False Claims Act could not only stop your cheating competitor from getting business unfairly, but also put a handsome bounty in your pocket for reporting him to the federal government.
There has been a recent surge in customs fraud cases filed under the False Claims Act. Customs fraud includes illegal conduct such as mislabeling products to conceal their true country of origin, removal of required labeling prior to delivery of products out of the country, undervaluing products to avoid paying import duties and other forms of tariff evasion.
Late last year, Toyo Ink SC Holdings Co. Ltd. (“Toyo”), a large Japanese manufacturer of printing inks with affiliates in New Jersey and Illinois, agreed to pay $45 million to settle claims of tariff evasion brought under the False Claims Act. The suit alleged that Toyo was deliberating evading paying required duties on imports by knowingly misrepresenting the country of origin for a particular colorant product. While Toyo represented the country of origin for the colorant to be Japan and Mexico, the colorant was actually imported from China and India and undergoing a superficial finishing process in Japan and Mexico.
The government’s complaint alleged that Toyo was engaged in this conduct in order to avoid paying “antidumping” and “countervailing” duties on the colorant. According to the Department of Justice: “The Department of Commerce assesses antidumping and countervailing duties to protect United States businesses by offsetting unfair foreign pricing and government subsidies. The duties are collected by U.S. Customs, which is an agency of the Department of Homeland Security. Import duties may vary depending on a product’s country of origin, which is identified by determining the last country in which the product underwent a substantial transformation.”.
The U.S. government became involved in the case against Toyo after a whistleblower filed the case under the qui tam provisions of the False Claims Act. In this case, the whistleblower was the President of the company that manufactured the colorant, not a Toyo insider.
Also in 2012, the government settled a $6.3 million case under the False Claims Act brought by a former sales account manager for a Chinese-owned logistics and warehousing company, CMAI. CMAI imports automotive parts which are distributed to Ford, General Motors and Chrysler. CMAI paid $6.3 million to resolve charges that the company evaded customs duties on the imported automotive parts.
In 2011, a Hong-Kong based jewelry manufacturer with New York affiliates, Noble Jewelry Ltd., paid the U.S. government $3.85 million to resolve charges that it was submitting false invoices on shipments and underreporting the value of the items shipped. The allegations were first brought to the government’s attention in a complaint filed by a whistleblower under the False Claims Act.
The False Claims Act seeks to recover government funds wrongfully paid out to individuals, companies or agencies that submitted false claims or who made false certifications in bills, contracts or other government documents. The False Claims Act can also be used, as it has in the customs fraud cases described above, to recover government funds that should have, but were not remitted to the federal government.
Successful whistleblowers, known as “relators” in False Claims Act cases, may earn anywhere from 15% to 30% of the government’s recovery. The share of the recovery received by a particular relator depends on a number of factors, including the amount and quality of the evidence he or she possesses, the overall value it adds to the case and whether the government elects to intervene in the case. The government may also impose fines for violations of the False Claims Act at a rate of $5,500-11,000 per false claim or violation.
The whistleblower lawyers at Levy Konigsberg LLP have the knowledge, experience, and passion to fight fraud against the government, while ensuring that your rights are protected. Our lawyers have a proven track record with recoveries that exceed $70 million.
Our law firm handles cases nationwide and has offices throughout the U.S., including New York City, Upstate New York, New Jersey, and Georgia. We handle all of our whistleblower cases on a contingency fee basis.
If you believe you have evidence of customs fraud or any type of fraud against the government, contact us for a free consultation at our 24/7 hotline at (800) 315-3806, or by submitting an email inquiry through our website.
IMPORTANT: If you believe you have evidence of fraud against the government, securities fraud, commodities fraud or IRS or New York State tax fraud, contact us for a free, confidential consultation by calling our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806, or by submitting an email inquiry.
- 2017 False Claims Act Year in Review: Government Recovers $3.7 Billion
- Do You Work For A Motor Vehicle Manufacturer, Supplier, Or Dealership And Came Across Safety Violations Your Employer Is Trying To Keep Hidden? Don’t Let Them Get Away With It, Call Now!
- 2016 False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect $519 Million
- New Study Confirms Importance of Whistleblowers in Preventing Corporate Fraud
- Where was the Wells Fargo Whistleblower? Part II.
- Fiscal Year 2016 Record Year for SEC Whistleblowers - $57 Million Awarded to Whistleblowers!
- SEC Investigating Wells Fargo Fraudulent Practices
- Whistleblower First! SEC Rewards Whistleblower $3.75 Million For Reporting Violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Did Your Employer Actually Qualify For That Government Set-Aside It Received? Did Your Competition Win A Contract It Didn’t Deserve?
- Hiding Wealth Offshore To Avoid Paying Taxes Is Illegal And IRS Will Reward Those Who Blow The Whistle On Anyone That Tries
- Aware of Banks and Mortgage Lenders Defrauding the Government Through FHA or VA Insured Loans? Don’t “Short” The Market, Contact Us!
- U.S. Education Department Creates New Unit to Investigate Student Aid Fraud
- The False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect a Record $597 Million
- False Claims Act Update: Top Recoveries & Enforcement Trends from 2014
- Whistleblower Attorneys Recover $1M in Medicare Fraud Case
- Qui Tam Attorney Discusses the DOE’s Final Gainful Employment Rules
- Career Education Corporation Agrees to $10.5 Million Settlement Over Inflated Employment Rates
- Pharmaceutical Company to Pay $40.1 M to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Qui Tam Lawsuit Involving Healthcare Fraud Intervened by US Government
- Medicare Fraud Responsible for $23 Million Paid to the Dead in 2011?
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale