Types of Government FraudJust like those who report fraud, those who commit fraud against the government come from all walks of life: blue collar and white collar, office workers, accountants, executives, medical professionals, corporate executives and more. And, while most of the early successes in Qui Tam lawsuits have been litigated against defense contractors, more and more cases are being filed on behalf of other Federal agencies including the Departments of Health and Human Services, Agriculture, Transportation, Energy and Education, as well as NASA and the EPA to name a few.
These cases may involve a number of different violations such as labor and environmental statutes. Of the most recent fraud actions filed, many have been against hospitals, pharmaceutical manufacturers, physicians, large cities, counties and smaller local municipalities.
You Must Have Proof of Fraud
Proof of fraud may be documents that you have or are able to obtain and/or personal knowledge of facts about which you can testify.
It is important to describe and help your qui tam attorney understand as many of the details about the fraudulent act as possible – the actual false claims, the people involved, the regulations that were violated and the operation of the claim’s process – both at the company and at the government level.
Evidence and documents such as journals, memos and notes are very helpful.
Remember, unless someone knowingly made a false statement, submission, or certification to the government, there will not be a basis to file suit under the False Claims Act.
Schemes Used to Defraud the Government
Unscrupulous individuals and corporations have devised many inventive ways to commit fraud against the government. These range from simple over-billing practices to complex corporate schemes that impose a cost to the taxpayer of hundreds of billions of dollars each year. They include:
- Phantom Billing for tests that are not performed, or products not delivered;
- Billing for inappropriate or unnecessary procedures;
- Overcharging for items purchased for much less;
- Charging for equipment or supplies that were never ordered;
- Billing for new equipment, but providing used equipment;
- Billing for expensive equipment, but providing low-cost equipment;
- Code Jamming by labs that insert fake diagnosis codes to get Medicare/Medicaid coverage;
- Submitting multiple bills to obtain a higher reimbursement for tests, products or services;
- Double Billing by charging more than once for the same service;
- Up Coding and billing for complex services when only simple services were performed;
- Billing for brand-named drugs when generic drugs were provided;
- Expensing Phantom Employees or hours worked that do not exist;
- Submitting Improper Cost Reports to obtain higher reimbursements.
If you have any first hand knowledge, information or evidence related to acts of fraud perpetrated against the federal, state, or city government, please contact the whistleblower lawyers at Levy Konigsberg LLP for a free and confidential consultation by calling our 24/7 hotline at (800) 315-3806, or by submitting an email inquiry.
Our attorneys have the dedication and resources it takes to successfully prosecute a Qui Tam case. We can protect your rights, fight fraud and obtain the compensation you deserve.
IMPORTANT: If you believe you have evidence of fraud against the government, securities fraud, commodities fraud or IRS or New York State tax fraud, contact us for a free, confidential consultation by calling our 24/7 hotline at (800) 315-3806, or by submitting an email inquiry.
- 2017 False Claims Act Year in Review: Government Recovers $3.7 Billion
- Do You Work For A Motor Vehicle Manufacturer, Supplier, Or Dealership And Came Across Safety Violations Your Employer Is Trying To Keep Hidden? Don’t Let Them Get Away With It, Call Now!
- 2016 False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect $519 Million
- New Study Confirms Importance of Whistleblowers in Preventing Corporate Fraud
- Where was the Wells Fargo Whistleblower? Part II.
- Fiscal Year 2016 Record Year for SEC Whistleblowers - $57 Million Awarded to Whistleblowers!
- SEC Investigating Wells Fargo Fraudulent Practices
- Whistleblower First! SEC Rewards Whistleblower $3.75 Million For Reporting Violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Did Your Employer Actually Qualify For That Government Set-Aside It Received? Did Your Competition Win A Contract It Didn’t Deserve?
- Hiding Wealth Offshore To Avoid Paying Taxes Is Illegal And IRS Will Reward Those Who Blow The Whistle On Anyone That Tries
- Aware of Banks and Mortgage Lenders Defrauding the Government Through FHA or VA Insured Loans? Don’t “Short” The Market, Contact Us!
- U.S. Education Department Creates New Unit to Investigate Student Aid Fraud
- The False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect a Record $597 Million
- False Claims Act Update: Top Recoveries & Enforcement Trends from 2014
- Whistleblower Attorneys Recover $1M in Medicare Fraud Case
- Qui Tam Attorney Discusses the DOE’s Final Gainful Employment Rules
- Career Education Corporation Agrees to $10.5 Million Settlement Over Inflated Employment Rates
- Pharmaceutical Company to Pay $40.1 M to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Qui Tam Lawsuit Involving Healthcare Fraud Intervened by US Government
- Medicare Fraud Responsible for $23 Million Paid to the Dead in 2011?
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale