Indiana: Mesothelioma Law Firm Assists IN Asbestos Victims
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA, JUNE 23, 2015 – MESOTHELIOMA LAWYERS FROM THE NATIONAL ASBESTOS LITIGATION FIRM OF LEVY KONIGSBERG LLP (“LK”) ARE CONTINUING TO HELP INDIANA MESOTHELIOMA PATIENTS AND FAMILIES OBTAIN LEGAL COMPENSATION FROM COMPANIES WHO MANUFACTURED, SOLD OR USED ASBESTOS-CONTAINING PRODUCTS.
Every year, thousands of men and women across the country are diagnosed with mesothelioma and asbestos lung cancer, including many in Indiana. Even more are diagnosed with lung cancer and asbestosis. According to statistics compiled by the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation, Indiana ranks fourteenth in the country for numbers of deaths from mesothelioma. All of these asbestos-related diseases could have been prevented if workers had been properly protected from exposure to asbestos.
In the early 1900s, Congress recognized the dangerous work conditions existing at rail yards across the country. The Federal Employers Liability Act (“FELA”) was enacted for purposes of protecting and compensating rail workers who suffered injuries associated with their rail work. Unlike many other employer-employee relationships, where an injury associated with an employer’s negligence was compensated under restrictive Worker Compensation laws, rail worker injuries are afforded more remedies and greater compensation.
For decades, various railroad personnel were at a high risk of asbestos exposure:
-Installers and Maintenance: These individuals laid the railroad tracks and maintained the trains. Equipment, including air and heat machinery, electrical components and insulation, was regularly installed, replaced and repaired. For decades, much of this equipment was either heavily insulated with asbestos or contained asbestos components, like gaskets and packing. Individuals who worked with or around this equipment were exposed to high levels of asbestos dust.
-Train Personnel: Train personnel, who traveled on the trains, including engineers, operators, brakeman, switchman and mechanics, were required to know every detail about their trains, from engine heat and speed, to the operation of the train brakes. For decades, train brakes contained large amounts of asbestos. Train personnel were regularly exposed to asbestos when operating the train’s brake and engine.
Rail Employers in Indiana include:
- Angola Railway
- Southern Indiana Railway
- Fort Wayne & Springfield Railway
- Railway Company
- New York Railroad Company
- Southern Railway Company
- Wiona & Warsaw Railway
- Baltimore & Ohio Railway
Power Plant Exposure
The generation of power in Indiana required the use of large, high-temperature equipment. Boilers, furnaces, turbines, cooling towers and ovens were installed, maintained and repaired at these power plants. This equipment required large amounts of asbestos-containing products to properly function. Other products, including pumps, valves, motors, wire, cable, heaters, air conditioning units, gaskets, packing, chillers, and steam traps were necessary to allow the powerhouses to properly function. Individuals working at these Indiana power plants were exposed to high levels of asbestos dust from their work with or around these products.
Tradesmen of various skills were exposed to asbestos at powerhouses constructed and operated throughout the nation. Jerome H. Block, an LK partner, represented a skilled tradesperson who was exposed to airborne asbestos created by the work of contractors installing various asbestos-containing products at a Long Island power plant. Employees, independent contractors and other visitors of these power plants were regularly exposed to asbestos. Attorneys at LK are skilled in identifying the asbestos exposures suffered by constructors and employees of these power plants. For more information on this LK power plant case, click here.
Power Plant Worksites Include:
- Breed Power Plant
- Cayuga Power Plant
- Clinton Electric Light & Power
- Crawfordsville Electric Light & Power
- Culley Powerhouse
- Dana Powerhouse
- Edwardsville Power Plant
- Indiana Power Company
- Utilities Power & Light Corp.
- Indiana & Michigan Powerhouse
- GM Powerhouse
- City of Jasper Municpal Power Plant
- Alcoa Warrick Power Plant
- Washington Power Plant
Other Industrial Worksites
Regardless of where you worked, mesothelioma attorneys at LK will assist your family in identifying the unique asbestos exposures you suffered at your worksite. If you worked at a power plant, oil refinery, manufacturing facility, auto garage, railroad, or delivery service, our attorneys and investigators will work tirelessly to identify each manufacturer and each product that exposed you to asbestos.
Individual Case Review – In Indiana, and across the country, many people also developed mesothelioma from non-occupational asbestos exposures, such as automotive work, home renovations and other hobbies, or from “second-hand asbestos exposure,” which occurred when work clothes contaminated with asbestos were worn home. An experienced LK attorney will assist your family in determining all possible sources of your exposure to asbestos dust.
- Alcoa (Newburgh)
- Allison-Bedford Foundry (Bedford)
- Amax Coal Company (Sullivan)
- American Sheet & Tin Plate Company (Elwood)
- American-Maize Products (Roby)
- Angola Die Casting (Angola)
- Angola Railway (Angola)
- Arketex Ceramic Corp. (Brazil)
- B.F. Goodrich Tire Company (Woodburn)
- Bailley Generating Station (Balleytown)
- Bethlehem Steel Corp. (Balleytown)
- Bimel Spoke Auto Wheel Company (Portland)
- Blish Milling Company (Seymour)
- Breed Power Plant (Fairbanks)
- Bunsen Coal Company (Clinton)
- Cayuga Power Plant (Cayuga)
- Cities Service Oil Refinery ( East Chicago)
- Clinton Ice Company (Clinton)
- Croyton & Kinney (Angola)
- Culley Powerhouse (Newburgh)
- Dalton Foundries, Inc. (Warsaw)
- Dana Heavy Water Plant (Dana)
- Dasco Corp. (Elwood)
- DuPont (Dana)
- Eli Lilly & Company (Clinton)
- Elwood Plumbing & Heating Company (Portland)
- Ford Motor Company (Dana)
- Franklin Electric Company (Blufton)
- Franklin Manufacturing Company (Brookville)
- Gatke Corp. (Warsaw)
- General Electric Company (Warrick)
- General Telephone Company (Sullivan)
- Gibson Generating Station (Gibson)
- Girdler Corp. (Dana)
- GM (Bedford)
- Grubb Warehouse (Seymour)
- H.J. Heinz Company (Princeton)
- Heise Brothers & Company (Orleans)
- Hoosier Condensed Milk Company (Blufton)
- Hoosier Energy (Cayuga)
- Hoosier Energy (Petersburg)
- Indiana Utilities Company (Angola)
- Ipalco Generating Station (Petersburg)
- Ispat International (New Carlisle)
- Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical (Bedford)
- Laughry Brothers Milling (Monticello)
- Lever Brothers Company (Roby)
- Linde Air Products Company (East Chicago)
- Luse-Stevenson Company (Portage)
- Midwest Steel Company (Portage)
- Muncie & Portland Traction Company (Portland)
- National Mill Water & Light (Angola)
- National Steel (Portage)
- National Veneer & Lumber (Seymour)
- New Corning Glass Plant (Blufton)
- Newport Energy Plant (Dana)
- Northern Indiana Public Service Company (Balleytown)
- Overmyer Corp. (Winchester)
- Owens Bottle Company (Greenfield)
- Owens-Corning Fiberglass Corp. (Brookville)
- Pilsbury Farms (Orleans)
- Pittsburgh Plate & Glass Company (Elwood)
- Princeton Mining Company (Princeton)
- Rochester Electric & Light (Rochester)
- Shell Oil Company (East Chicago)
- Sheller Wood Rim Manufacturing Company (Portland)
- Southern Indiana Railway (Bedford)
- Sterling Casting Corporation (Blufton)
- Sullivan Supply, Inc. (Sullivan)
- Talon Manufacturing Plant (Seymour)
- Texas Gas Transmission Corp. (Bedford)
- Travis & Isenstein (Sullivan)
- Volney Felt Mills (Brookville)
- Warrick Power Plant (Newburgh)
- Warrick Power Plant (Warrick)
- Weatherhead Corp. (Angola)
- Western Glucose Company (Roby)
- Winmar Oil Company (Princeton)
- Wiona & Warsaw Railway (Warsaw)
- Wm. Cadick & Son (Rockport)
- Yankeetown Power Plant (Yankeetown)
If you or your loved one are an Indiana resident or were exposed to asbestos in Indiana, and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or another asbestos-related disease, please call (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry. to receive a FREE consultation with an attorney at Levy Konigsberg LLP.
ATTENTION: Mesothelioma has no known cure and often causes severe pain, suffering,
and other types of damage, such as loss of consortium, and loss of income.
Additionally, due to the exceedingly high cost of mesothelioma treatments,
many families exhaust savings and accumulate financial debt in order to
pay for the medical expenses of their family member.
Under the law of most states, pain and suffering from mesothelioma may be compensated through the award of money damages, usually obtained with the help of experienced mesothelioma attorneys. In some states other types of damages may also be recovered.
Asbestos litigation affords mesothelioma victims the opportunity to receive financial compensation and hold accountable the companies that caused their asbestos exposure.
IMPORTANT: If you or your family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should get in touch with a mesothelioma lawyer as early as possible to determine if you have a mesothelioma case and to:
- Preserve your rights to bring a legal action against the responsible parties within the limited time frame allowed by law, known as statute of limitations;
Obtain maximum compensation in your case by being able to:
- Preserve evidence and establish facts of the asbestos exposure while the claimant is still alive and able to provide information;
- File and resolve a lawsuit against the responsible parties before they file for bankruptcy or, if they already have, to obtain compensation before their bankruptcy trust funds run out of money;
- Expedite your case, as courts tend to give higher priority to mesothelioma lawsuits where the claimant is still alive.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
NOTE: We have offices located in New York, New Jersey, California, Georgia, Washington, and Maryland. Many of our mesothelioma lawyers are licensed to practice law in a number of U.S. states and have the capability and extensive experience of representing mesothelioma clients throughout the United States. You are encouraged to contact us with any questions.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale