Jehovah’s Witness Sex Abuse Lawsuits
Representing Sex Abuse Survivors Nationwide
Numerous reports of child sex abuse within the Jehovah's Witness community have surfaced in recent years. Many victims and their families have come forward with allegations of abuse, and some have taken legal action against the organization, too. If you or a loved one has been the victim of sex abuse or child sex abuse within the Jehovah's Witness church, it's important to know that you are not alone.
Levy Konigsberg is a nationwide law firm that is devoted to fighting for the rights of sex abuse survivors. We have intentionally focused on complex cases against powerful defendants like the Jehovah’s Witness church, as well as many other religious institutions. Few other law firms can claim to have the experience and dedication that we do regarding the protection of the rights of sex abuse survivors.
Trust Levy Konigsberg with your Jehovah’s Witness sex abuse lawsuit. Call (800) 315-3806 for a confidential case consultation.
Sex Abuse Lawsuits Form Against Jehovah’s Witnesses
If you or your child were sexually abused by a member of Jehovah’s Witnesses, then you are in no way alone. For many years, sexual abuse allegations and lawsuits have been filed against Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, a nonprofit corporation that funds Jehovah’s Witnesses. Evidence of the church’s negligence and intentional coverups has been extensive. This evidence may be used to support your case too..
A brief look at some of the child sex abuse lawsuits and investigations against Jehovah’s Witnesses includes:
- Washington State child sexual abuse coverups: Lawsuits filed against Jehovah’s Witnesses in Spokane, Washington, allege that the church and Watchtower Bible and Tract Society took active steps to hide information about child sex abuse for decades. The lawsuits claim to show evidence of a secret, multi-decade database managed by the defendants, which outlines known sexual abusers and allegations within the church. Yet little if not nothing has been done to protect churchgoers and their children from the sexual abusers. Certain plaintiffs allege that they were sexually abused decades ago in the 1970s when they were children. Washington has proposed a law that would eliminate the statute of limitations for child sex abuse cases which could allow more people to demand justice and compensation. Some of the earliest Jehovah’s Witness sex abuse lawsuits date back at least 20 years, with new lawsuits being filed each year.
- Pennsylvania Jehovah’s Witness child sex abuse: In Pennsylvania, four men who are Jehovah’s Witnesses were formally and criminally charged with the sexual abuse of 19 people, including young children and their own children. One of the defendants took his own life when the police attempted to take him into custody, but the case against him and the Jehovah’s Witness church continues. Attorney General Josh Shapiro is pressing the matter and has encouraged any additional victims of these four men to come forward. The latest lawsuit for these alleged acts of child sexual abuse was filed in late 2022.
- Watchtower Bible and Tract Society sex abuse lawsuits: In 1997, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society sent a letter to nearly 11,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses congregations to discuss known and potential child sex abusers within the church. It detailed 12 questions that its members were to use when answering anyone else who might learn about the abuses. However, it also included clear instructions to never share the letter with anyone else. When the letters and the related child sex abuse database was eventually uncovered, it included 20-years’ worth of information about child sex abusers, accusations against them, and more. None of the information was ever willingly given to Jehovah’s Witness churchgoers, the public, or interested law enforcement agencies. Following the disclosure of such shocking information, the New York Child Victims Act was used to file lawsuits against the church in 2018. Court documents show that one plaintiff was awarded more than $780,000. Other lawsuits involving the Watchtower Bible child sex abuse database scandal have been filed in California, Washington, Connecticut, Vermont, Oregon, Delaware, Montana, and New Mexico. In one landmark case in California, the individual perpetrator of the child sex abuse was found 60% liable, with the remaining liability split 27% and 13% against the Watchtower Bible and the specific Congregation.
Demand Justice — Call Levy Konigsberg Today
At Levy Konigsberg, we are committed to fighting for justice on behalf of child sex abuse survivors and their families. If you or a loved one has been the victim of child sex abuse within the Jehovah's Witness church, we can help you understand your legal options and guide you through the process of seeking justice in a way that is sensitive and respectful. We believe that every survivor deserves to have their story heard and that perpetrators and organizations responsible for these unforgiveable acts should be held accountable through legal recourse.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and take the first step towards healing and closure.
- “Lawsuit: Jehovah’s Witnesses covered up child sexual abuse in Washington state for decades” (InvestigateWest via KXLY)
- “2 Spokane men allege child molestation in lawsuit against South Hill Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses” (KREM2 ABC News)
- “Pa. attorney general charges four Jehovah’s Witnesses with sexual abuse of 19 children” (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
- “AG Shapiro announces charges against four men for sexual abuse of children across Pennsylvania” (Office of Attorney General, PA)
- “A Secret Database of Child Abuse” (The Atlantic)
- “Man who raped Jehovah’s Witness girls sentenced to 5 years in prison” (NBC News)
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Know the DifferenceCommitted to Doing What's Right
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Thousands of Clients HelpedHear What They Have to Say
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale