Kansas City Lead Poisoning
Levy Konigsberg LLP, the national lead poisoning law firm, is bringing its decades of experience in lead paint litigation to advocate on behalf of lead poisoned children in Kansas City, Missouri. Childhood lead poisoning is a serious, yet avoidable, problem that causes lasting damage in both the individual child and society at large. Even low levels of lead exposure can affect the cognitive development of young children, often causing speech delays, hyperactivity, and lower IQ that can put a child at a disadvantage with their peers. Lead poisoned children commonly struggle in school and have difficulty holding a job when they are adults, going on to earn significantly less over the course of their lifetime than they could have were they not poisoned. Furthermore, because lead poisoned children most commonly come from low income neighborhoods, childhood lead poisoning causes lasting socioeconomic damage, exacerbating the already growing income inequality.
Kansas City, MO has some of the highest rates of childhood lead poisoning in the country, and its effects are felt city-wide. The most common source of childhood lead exposure is from lead-based paint in older homes, and nearly 80 percent of homes in Kansas City were built before lead-based paint was banned for residential use across the country. Any home built before the ban that has not been properly remediated is a high risk home for lead exposure, no matter how recently the home has been repainted. That is because the lead-based paint continues to exist beneath the layers of the newer paint, and sticks to the newer layers when those layers flake and peel. Friction surfaces, such as window frames and door jambs, can create lead-based paint dust, which spreads throughout the house and can settle on toys and objects that children put their mouths on.
At any given time, 800-1200 of Kansas City’s young children have elevated blood lead levels high enough to constitute lead poisoning. According to the Department of Health, nearly 84,000 homes in Kansas City were built before the lead paint ban, and only 1500 homes have been remediated in the past 20 years. Kansas City recently received a $2.9 million grant to help fight the lead poisoning epidemic, but the money is only enough to fund the remediation of another 152 homes.
The ultimate responsibility for a lead safe home falls on the landlord or homeowner. If you live in a rented older home, it is important to look for signs of paint deterioration and report those signs to your landlord immediately. Have your child tested for a blood lead level, and call the Department of Health even if your child’s lead level does not rise to the level considered lead poisoning. Finally, if your child has an elevated blood-lead level, contact an experienced lead poisoning attorney to see if your child has a case.
The lead poisoning attorneys at Levy Konigsberg LLP have won over $100 million in verdicts and settlements on behalf of lead poisoned children over the past 25 years. Contact one of our experienced attorneys today for a free lead paint case consultation.
LEAD POISONING NEWS
- Federal Court Awards $626 Million to Victims of the Flint Lead Water Crisis
- Levy Konigsberg Sues the City of Jackson on Behalf of 600 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Announces $600 Million Settlement for Victims of Flint Water Crisis
- Michigan Federal Court Rules EPA Must Defend Lawsuit in the Flint Water Crisis
- Lead-Contaminated Dust Poses Major Health Hazard to New York Tenants
- Federal Judge Allows Class Action to Proceed Against Embattled Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Housing Authority
- Lead Poisoning Victim to Sue Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Ninth Circuit Court Demands EPA Issue Updated Rules on Lead Poisoning
- Alexander County Housing Authority Failed to Protect Residents from Lead Poisoning
- Flint Lawyers Take on NYCHA for Lead Paint Violations
- Areas of Portland, Oregon Found With High Levels of Lead in Drinking Water
- One-Third of High Risk Children Untested for Lead Poisoning in California
- Levy Konigsberg Appointed Lead Counsel in Flint Water Litigation
- LK Attorney Comments on Lead Crisis in East Chicago, Indiana
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Legal Ruling in Flint Lead Poisoning Cases
- LK Files Third Wave of Lawsuits in Flint Michigan, Case Filings Now Total 75 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Files Flint Lawsuits for More Than 20 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Lead Poisoning Attorney Attends Flint, Michigan Town Hall
- Levy Konigsberg Attorney Comments on Flint Michigan Water Crisis Involving Lead
- Levy Konigsberg LLP Obtains Two Separate Lead Poisoning Awards in New Jersey
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale