Jerome (Jerry) Block is a partner at Levy Konigsberg LLP and specializes in representing people diagnosed with asbestos-related diseases including mesothelioma (a cancer caused by asbestos exposure) and lung cancer (a cancer caused by both asbestos exposure and smoking). Jerry is one of the only attorneys in the United States to have won multiple jury verdicts against both the asbestos and tobacco industries. Jerry is a fierce and passionate advocate who views his cases as battles for public health.
Jerry tries his cases in courtrooms throughout the country and has successfully defended his jury verdicts on appeal in courts including the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the New York Appellate Division and the Delaware Supreme Court. Jerry’s mastery of the law and rules of evidence have resulted in an extraordinarily high winning percentage at trial and the rare distinction of never having a jury verdict reversed on appeal.
In May 2019, Jerry won a historic $325 million dollar verdict against Johnson & Johnson, and a J&J subsidiary company, resulting from his client Donna Olson’s mesothelioma that was caused by decades of exposure to asbestos from J&J’s talc products, including Johnson’s Baby Powder. Jerry served as lead counsel in this landmark four-month trial which was the first case tried against J&J in New York relating to asbestos in baby powder.
Just seven months earlier, in October 2018, Jerry won a $43.1 million dollar verdict against R.J. Reynolds in Boston on behalf of his client Louis Summerlin who developed lung cancer from smoking menthol cigarettes and from asbestos exposure from work as a brake mechanic. This was the first lung cancer case tried to verdict in the United States in which the case was litigated all the way through trial against both tobacco and asbestos product companies.
Over the course of his career, Jerry has obtained hundreds of millions of dollars in jury verdicts and pre-trial settlements. Jerry is known for his willingness to take on the most challenging cases, and has won trials against numerous large corporations who made asbestos, talc and/or tobacco products including (in alphabetical order): American Tobacco Company, Anaconda-Ericsson, Brown & Williamson, Dana Corporation, Exxon-Mobil, Ford Motor Company, Foster-Wheeler, Hobart Brothers, John Crane, Inc., Johnson & Johnson, Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc., Johnson Controls, Lincoln Electric, National Grid, Okonite, Philip Morris, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, and Spirax Sarco.
Jerry has been an invited speaker at many national conferences where he has given presentations on topics involving asbestos litigation, tobacco litigation and jury trial skills. Jerry served on the national faculty of Emory School of Law’s Trial Techniques Program in May 2007 where he taught jury trial skills including cross-examination.
Jerry has been included in every edition of Best Lawyers in America since 2005. He has also been distinguished by Super Lawyers in New York City and has been selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 List.
Prior to joining LK in 2001, Jerry worked at an international law firm where he gained valuable experience representing large corporate defendants in complex, multi-party lawsuits.
A graduate of Emory Law School, Jerry served as the “Notes and Comments” editor of the Emory Law Journal. While at Emory, he received several awards and honors, and was inducted into The Order of the Coif. After completing his law degree, Jerry worked as a two-year law clerk for the Honorable Jean C. Hamilton, who was then Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Missouri.
Jerry is a long-time resident of Brooklyn, NY, along with his wife Michelle and their three children. A native of St. Louis, Missouri, Jerry remains a devoted fan of the St. Louis Blues and Cardinals.
- LK Wins $325 Million Mesothelioma Verdict Against Johnson & Johnson for Asbestos in Baby Powder
- Boston Jury Awards $43.1 Million Verdict in Cigarette Smoking-Asbestos Exposure Lung Cancer Trial
- New York Mesothelioma Attorneys Win Verdict Against Ford Motor Company
- Mesothelioma Lawyer Wins $7M Verdict against LILCO
- Wrongful Death Lawyers Win Historic $5.5 M Lung Cancer Verdict
- Lung Cancer Attorneys Win Post-Trial Motion in Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- Delaware Court Affirms Clutch & Gasket Manufacturers Liability for Two Asbestos Cancers & Questions Sufficiency of Compensation
- Federal Judge Issues Ruling Protecting Rights of Navy Servicemen to Bring Mesothelioma Lawsuits Against Government Contractors
- Judge Rules Against Valve Manufacturer in Mesothelioma Lawsuit Brought by Former Navy Boilerman
- LK’s Mesothelioma Lawyers Obtain $1.74 Million Verdict for Louisiana Mother and Son
- Federal Court Grants Class Certification to Class of Marlboro Smokers for Landmark Trial against Philip Morris
- First-Ever Mesothelioma Compensation Verdict in Syracuse New York Awards $5 Million to Former Navy Boilerman
- Asbestos Lawyers for Families of Mesothelioma Stricken Electrician & Pipefitter from New York Obtain Two Verdicts Totaling $9 Million
- Marlboro Smokers File Tobacco Class Action Lawsuit against Philip Morris to Provide New CT Scans that Detect Early-Stage Lung Cancer
- First Ever Asbestos Compensation Verdict against US Welding Rods Industry Affirmed by New York Appeals Court
- Asbestos Compensation Verdict of $7.6 Million against John Crane Upheld by New York Appellate Court
- Asbestos Compensation Verdict of $22 Million for Former Brooklyn Navy Yard Electrician and Merchant Mariner Upheld by NY Supreme Court
- Mesothelioma Compensation Verdict of $22 Million Awarded to Former Brooklyn Navy Yard Electrician and Navy and Merchant Marine Seaman
- First Ever Asbestos Compensation Verdicts against US Welding Rods Industry
- Exxon-Mobil Found 100% at Fault in Mesothelioma Lawsuit
- Mesothelioma Compensation Verdict of $19 Million Awarded to Former Brooklyn Navy Yard Electrician and Pfizer Mechanic