Lead Poisoning & Autistic Symptoms
MANY SYMPTOMS CAUSED BY CHILDHOOD LEAD POISONING ALSO FALL WITHIN THE LIST OF SYMPTOMS INCLUDED IN THE OLD DEFINITION OF AUTISM AND WHAT IS NOW KNOWN AS AUTISTIC SPECTRUM DISORDER (ASD).
What is Lead Poisoning?
Lead poisoning is a childhood disease most commonly caused by a landlord’s failure to take proper care of painted walls, windows, and doors in an apartment rented to a family with young children. Young children living in an apartment with peeling, chipping and damaged lead paint and lead paint dust breathe in this contaminated material causing lead to enter their blood. Lead paint in baby food can also lead to exposure. High levels of lead in a young child’s body causes serious permanent brain dysfunction, learning problems, behavioral disorders, and attention deficits.
Why Are Children At Risk of Lead Poisoning?
Children under the age of seven are very sensitive to the hazardous effects of lead because their brains are still developing and are able to absorb ingested lead more easily than adults. This is also the period of time when children play on the floor, their hands touch the floor and painted surfaces in the apartment, and then their hands find their way to their mouths. Sometimes high lead levels are not identified until after the child has already been observed to demonstrate some symptoms that are on the ASD list of symptoms. Other times, a child will first be diagnosed with lead poisoning and then be classified or categorized as ASD.
Does Lead Poisoning Cause Autism?
ASD is NOT a medical condition. ASD is a diagnosis made upon the presence of a minimum number of symptoms which have reached a certain level of severity. Since lead poisoning causes many symptoms included in the list of symptoms under the ASD heading, lead poisoning is a cause of ASD by definition. For example lead poisoning causes cognitive deficits, learning disabilities, behavioral delays, neurological immaturity, and attention deficits.
What's the Difference Between Autism & Lead Poisoning?
The key difference between children with lead poisoning who have symptoms similar to ASD and true ASD children is whether or not the child has the ability to have relationships with others. For example experts in the field will consider whether the child is able to communicate with a parent or with a sibling, or with a classmate or with a teacher, or with other adults. If your child has a history of lead poisoning and is able to have a relationship with others, then you should consider consulting with the lead poisoning lawyers at Levy Konigsberg.
Can I File a Lawsuit for Lead Poisoning?
If the symptoms and problems which your child is suffering from were caused as a result of apartment conditions which existed because your landlord didn’t take proper care of the painted surfaces, then you have a right to obtain compensation for your child. Levy Konigsberg can evaluate your lead poisoning case and determine whether they can assist you in obtaining compensation for the damages and injuries to your child including his lost intelligence and future diminished lifetime earnings ability.
Levy Konigsberg has successfully obtained millions of dollars in compensation for children who had been lead poisoned and were also diagnosed with autism or ASD. If your child has high lead levels and has been diagnosed with ASD, but has the ability to have social relationships with others, then you should consider contacting us to investigate whether your child may have been misdiagnosed. Levy Konigsberg works with the finest experts in the fields of psychology and pediatric medicine who are acutely aware of the similarities and differences between lead poisoning and ASD.
LEAD POISONING NEWS
- Federal Court Awards $626 Million to Victims of the Flint Lead Water Crisis
- Levy Konigsberg Sues the City of Jackson on Behalf of 600 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Announces $600 Million Settlement for Victims of Flint Water Crisis
- Michigan Federal Court Rules EPA Must Defend Lawsuit in the Flint Water Crisis
- Lead-Contaminated Dust Poses Major Health Hazard to New York Tenants
- Federal Judge Allows Class Action to Proceed Against Embattled Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Housing Authority
- Lead Poisoning Victim to Sue Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Ninth Circuit Court Demands EPA Issue Updated Rules on Lead Poisoning
- Alexander County Housing Authority Failed to Protect Residents from Lead Poisoning
- Flint Lawyers Take on NYCHA for Lead Paint Violations
- Areas of Portland, Oregon Found With High Levels of Lead in Drinking Water
- One-Third of High Risk Children Untested for Lead Poisoning in California
- Levy Konigsberg Appointed Lead Counsel in Flint Water Litigation
- LK Attorney Comments on Lead Crisis in East Chicago, Indiana
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Legal Ruling in Flint Lead Poisoning Cases
- LK Files Third Wave of Lawsuits in Flint Michigan, Case Filings Now Total 75 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Files Flint Lawsuits for More Than 20 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Lead Poisoning Attorney Attends Flint, Michigan Town Hall
- Levy Konigsberg Attorney Comments on Flint Michigan Water Crisis Involving Lead
- Levy Konigsberg LLP Obtains Two Separate Lead Poisoning Awards in New Jersey
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale