Los Angeles Lead Poisoning
Childhood lead poisoning is one of the most pervasive public health problems in the country, causing serious permanent personal injury and socioeconomic damage. It is also one of the most preventable—as simple as removing common sources of lead from a child’s home. Lead has been used in a variety of consumer goods throughout history, such as pipes, gasoline, and paint. However, as the dangers of lead poisoning became more apparent, Congress began restricting the use of lead in products. Lead paint was banned nationwide in 1978, and the EPA began phasing out the use of leaded gasoline in 1973. Though lead is no longer used in new consumer goods, lead-based paint continues to exist in many homes throughout the United States.
This is especially true in Los Angeles County, where some areas, such as San Marino, have over 80% of the homes built before the national lead paint ban. County-wide, the number is closer to 50%. Although older lead paint is often painted over, when a new layer deteriorates, chips, and flakes, it pulls the older lead-based paint layers with it. Those chips and flakes then fall to the floor, within reach of small children, who may accidentally ingest it. Once ingested, lead wreaks havoc on a child’s body, causing anemia, kidney damage, and developmental delays.
Even small amounts of lead in a young child can cause permanent cognitive harm, leading to learning disabilities, lower academic achievement, and reduced earning capacity when out of school. That is why the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (“CDC”) recommends local health departments intervene when a child has a blood lead level of 5 mcg/dL or greater. However, states like California have a much higher threshold of 10 mcg/dL before the health department will get involved and investigate the source of lead. Worse, California does not mandate blood-lead testing of children, so there is no way to know how prevalent childhood lead poisoning actually is in the state.
Of the children in Los Angeles aged six and under who were tested, more than 15,000 had elevated blood-lead levels between 2011 and 2015. Though lower income children are usually at higher risk, due to lower quality housing, children growing up in gentrifying neighborhoods are also often at risk. Though there are steps parents can take to help reduce exposure, such as meticulous cleaning, the ultimate responsibility lies with the landlord to ensure a home is lead safe for tenants with young children. No matter the condition of paint in the home, a home is not lead safe unless it underwent an EPA certified abatement process.
If your child has been exposed to chipping and peeling lead-based paint, have your child tested for an elevated blood lead level as soon as possible, and call the lead poisoning attorneys at Levy Konigsberg LLP to see if you have a case. Levy Konigsberg LLP has decades of experience helping victims of childhood lead poisoning get the compensation they deserve, and has won over $100 million in verdicts and settlements. Contact our lead poisoning attorneys today for a free case evaluation.
LEAD POISONING NEWS
- Federal Court Awards $626 Million to Victims of the Flint Lead Water Crisis
- Levy Konigsberg Sues the City of Jackson on Behalf of 600 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Announces $600 Million Settlement for Victims of Flint Water Crisis
- Michigan Federal Court Rules EPA Must Defend Lawsuit in the Flint Water Crisis
- Lead-Contaminated Dust Poses Major Health Hazard to New York Tenants
- Federal Judge Allows Class Action to Proceed Against Embattled Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Housing Authority
- Lead Poisoning Victim to Sue Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Ninth Circuit Court Demands EPA Issue Updated Rules on Lead Poisoning
- Alexander County Housing Authority Failed to Protect Residents from Lead Poisoning
- Flint Lawyers Take on NYCHA for Lead Paint Violations
- Areas of Portland, Oregon Found With High Levels of Lead in Drinking Water
- One-Third of High Risk Children Untested for Lead Poisoning in California
- Levy Konigsberg Appointed Lead Counsel in Flint Water Litigation
- LK Attorney Comments on Lead Crisis in East Chicago, Indiana
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Legal Ruling in Flint Lead Poisoning Cases
- LK Files Third Wave of Lawsuits in Flint Michigan, Case Filings Now Total 75 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Files Flint Lawsuits for More Than 20 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Lead Poisoning Attorney Attends Flint, Michigan Town Hall
- Levy Konigsberg Attorney Comments on Flint Michigan Water Crisis Involving Lead
- Levy Konigsberg LLP Obtains Two Separate Lead Poisoning Awards in New Jersey
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale