March 5, 2013 – Massachusetts mesothelioma lawyers at the national asbestos litigation firm of Levy Konigsberg LLP announce the addition of MA lawyer and Navy veteran, who joins the law firm to help more Massachusetts families affected by mesothelioma.
Massachusetts Mesothelioma Lawyers Help Asbestos Victims in Boston MA
MASSACHUSETTS MESOTHELIOMA LAWYERS AT THE NATIONAL ASBESTOS LITIGATION FIRM OF LEVY KONIGSBERG LLP ANNOUNCE THE ADDITION OF MA LAWYER AND NAVY VETERAN, WHO JOINS THE LAW FIRM TO HELP MORE MASSACHUSETTS FAMILIES AFFECTED BY MESOTHELIOMA.
BOSTON, Massachusetts, March 5, 2013 – With its mesothelioma lawyers already working all over the country, Levy Konigsberg LLP (“LK”), a nationally-acclaimed asbestos litigation law firm, whom U.S. News & World Report recently named 2013 Law Firm of the Year in Product Liability, announce the addition of Massachusetts mesothelioma lawyer and Navy veteran, who joins the law firm to help more victims of mesothelioma who were exposed to asbestos in a wide variety of industries, including many industrial and commercial sites, in and around Boston, MA.
Each year thousands of men and women are diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease such as mesothelioma, lung cancer, or asbestosis as a result of their unnecessary exposure to asbestos and asbestos-containing products. These diseases may have been prevented if the companies profiting from the sale and/or use of asbestos products shared the knowledge they had concerning its dangers to its customers or end-users.
Boston and the surrounding area is home to many shipping and manufacturing job-sites where workers would have been exposed to asbestos. Boston’s rich maritime history and abundant coastal environment makes industries such as shipbuilding, fishing, and merchant shipping incredibly popular for Massachusetts workers throughout the city’s respected history. As one of the oldest cities in America with readily accessible coastal ports and railroads, Boston and the surrounding area was also the home of countless manufacturing sites.
In addition to the shipping and manufacturing industries, thousands of victims were exposed to asbestos during the construction of Boston’s many hospitals, colleges, and universities.
Massachusetts workers were frequently exposed to asbestos by their involvement in Boston’s abundant shipbuilding and manufacturing industries. Some of the most common exposure sites include the following (see also Figure 1 below):
- Charlestown Navy Yard – Covering nearly 30 acres, Charlestown Navy Yard (now known as the Boston Navy Yard) was the birthplace of more than 200 warships from its inception in 1800 until its closing in 1974. The now historic park and landmark stands as a symbol of Boston’s rich maritime history.
- Bethlehem Hingham Shipyard – Founded in 1913 and covering over 150 acres, the Bethlehem Shipyard in Hingham, Massachusetts was paramount to the production of naval vessels needed to secure the victory in World War II. With over 24,000 employees at its peak, who were known for their excellent craftsmanship and speed, Massachusetts workers were proud to work at Bethlehem Hingham Shipyard.
- Boston Edison Company – Now known as NSTAR, Boston Edison Co. employed thousands of workers to install and maintain asbestos containing equipment such as steam pipes, boilers, valves, pumps, turbines, and generators necessary for the use and sale of electricity and steam they sold all over the greater Boston area. Boston Edison powerhouses and sub-stations can be found all over Massachusetts, and were the primary source of asbestos exposure for many victims employed by the Boston Edison Company.
- Fore River Shipyard – Situated in Quincy Massachusetts, the Fore River Shipyard and Engine Building Company was also known as the Quincy Shipyard, the Bethlehem Steel Shipyard, and the General Dynamics Shipyard during its operation from the 1880s until its closing over 100 years later. During this time, and especially during World War II, hundreds of submarines and destroyers laid their keels at Fore River Shipyard.
- Salem Harbor Power Station – Built in 1951, the Salem Harbor Power Station consisted of both coal-fired and oil-fired power stations. Covering over 60 acres, the water-front site is complete with many smoke-stacks, oil tanks, and coal piles. Asbestos insulation and materials would have commonly been used in and on the countless boilers, steam pipes, valves, pumps, and generators located on the site.
Not limited to shipyards and power generation, thousands of other victims were exposed to asbestos through their work at industrial and commercial sites including (see also Figure 1 below):
- Attleboro Manufacturing Company;
- B.F. Sturtevant Co. – Hyde Park, Boston;
- Boston Harbor Industrial Park;
- Boston Logan International Airport;
- Boston University – Brookline, Massachusetts;
- Cabot Corporation – Waltham, Massachusetts;
- Filenes Department Store – Boston, Massachusetts;
- General Electric Company – Springfield, Massachusetts;
- Framingham Assembly – Framingham, Massachusetts;
- The Gillette Company – South Boston Manufacturing Center;
- Harvard University – Cambridge, Massachusetts;
- Massachusetts General Hospital – Boston, Massachusetts;
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – Cambridge, Massachusetts;
- Pilgrim Nuclear Generating Station – Plymouth, Massachusetts;
- Prudential Building – Boston, Massachusetts;
- Riley Stoker Corporation – Worcester, Massachusetts;
- United States Gypsum Company – Charlestown, Massachusetts;
- University of Massachusetts – Amherst, Massachusetts;
- V.A. Hospital – Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts.
Massachusetts workers who were exposed to asbestos at these and other jobsites located throughout the Commonwealth can seek the expertise of the Massachusetts mesothelioma lawyers at LK for possible legal representation. LK’s history of obtaining numerous landmark and record-setting verdicts and nationwide recognition makes it the first choice for many victims suffering from mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis who were exposed to asbestos in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
If you or your family member has an asbestos-related disease, you should get in touch with an experienced asbestos attorney at LK right away to determine if you have a case. For a free consultation, please call our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry.
ATTENTION: Mesothelioma has no known cure and often causes severe pain, suffering,
and other types of damage, such as loss of consortium, and loss of income.
Additionally, due to the exceedingly high cost of mesothelioma treatments,
many families exhaust savings and accumulate financial debt in order to
pay for the medical expenses of their family member.
Under the law of most states, pain and suffering from mesothelioma may be compensated through the award of money damages, usually obtained with the help of experienced mesothelioma attorneys. In some states other types of damages may also be recovered.
Asbestos litigation affords mesothelioma victims the opportunity to receive financial compensation and hold accountable the companies that caused their asbestos exposure.
IMPORTANT: If you or your family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should get in touch with a mesothelioma lawyer as early as possible to determine if you have a mesothelioma case and to:
- Preserve your rights to bring a legal action against the responsible parties within the limited time frame allowed by law, known as statute of limitations;
Obtain maximum compensation in your case by being able to:
- Preserve evidence and establish facts of the asbestos exposure while the claimant is still alive and able to provide information;
- File and resolve a lawsuit against the responsible parties before they file for bankruptcy or, if they already have, to obtain compensation before their bankruptcy trust funds run out of money;
- Expedite your case, as courts tend to give higher priority to mesothelioma lawsuits where the claimant is still alive.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
NOTE: We have offices located in New York, New Jersey, California, Georgia, Washington, and Maryland. Many of our mesothelioma lawyers are licensed to practice law in a number of U.S. states and have the capability and extensive experience of representing mesothelioma clients throughout the United States. You are encouraged to contact us with any questions.
FAQs on Mesothelioma in Massachusetts
Every year, thousands of men and women are diagnosed with mesothelioma, a deadly form of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos. This tragedy could have been prevented if companies profiting from the use or sale of products containing asbestos had shared their knowledge of the dangers with consumers, workers, and the general public.
Our firm is dedicated to protecting the rights of asbestos exposure victims and their families. Here, we provide answers to commonly asked questions about mesothelioma.
Where Has Asbestos Exposure Occurred in Massachusetts?
Workers may have been exposed to asbestos in the many shipping and manufacturing job sites in Boston and the surrounding area. In addition to those industries, thousands of people have been exposed during construction of colleges, universities, and hospitals. Common asbestos exposure sites in the Boston area include:
- Boston Edison Company
- Charlestown Navy Yard (currently called the Boston Navy Yard)
- Bethlehem Hingham Shipyard
- Fore River Shipyard
- Salem Harbor Power Station
Many other victims were exposed to asbestos in the workplace at commercial and industrial job sites.
Can a Person Exposed to Asbestos in the Military Get Government Compensation?
Veterans who have developed mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos while serving in the military may file a VA claim for benefits from the U.S. government. This will not prevent a victim from filing a civil lawsuit to recover compensation from responsible third parties.
How Do You Know if You Have Mesothelioma?
If you have a history of asbestos exposure, see your doctor as soon as possible. A physician can monitor your health and order any necessary diagnostic testing. Mesothelioma is most common in the tissue surrounding the lungs. Pleural mesothelioma causes the following symptoms, according to the Mayo Clinic:
- Painful coughing
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Unexplained weight loss
- Unusual lumps of tissue under the skin of the chest
Are Mesothelioma Claims Class Action Lawsuits?
Class action lawsuits are group actions in which a class representative represents the interests of other similarly situated individuals. Mesothelioma claims are not class actions – they are individual lawsuits. However, in some jurisdictions, the court may join several individual mesothelioma claims in a single trial when the cases share common issues for decision by a jury.
Does Workers’ Comp Cover Mesothelioma?
An employee who develops mesothelioma after asbestos exposure on the job is entitled to receive workers’ compensation benefits. These benefits include reasonable and necessary medical expenses related to the injury. Workers’ comp also includes weekly payments for disability, based on a percentage of the worker’s average weekly wage. These benefits are usually not be sufficient for asbestos exposure victims. Most often, it is advisable to file a third-party claim against a manufacturer, supplier or other at-fault parties.
Do Mesothelioma Cases Usually Go to Trial?
More than 90% of mesothelioma claims settle out of court. Large amounts of compensation are often recovered from the asbestos industry. Our Massachusetts mesothelioma attorneys have the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively pursue the maximum compensation available in your case.
What Happens If the Responsible Party Declares Bankruptcy?
When an asbestos manufacturer declares bankruptcy, that company is required to set up a trust with the bankruptcy court for asbestos exposure victims. To obtain compensation from a trust, a person diagnosed with mesothelioma will need to present proof of exposure to the asbestos-containing products of that company. The victim may also need to present evidence that he or she was present at an approved work site recognized by that particular bankruptcy trust.
Our Massachusetts mesothelioma attorneys at Levy Konigsberg can advise you of your options under the law and aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve for asbestos exposure leading to mesothelioma. Contact us today at (800) 315-3806.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale