Handling Mesothelioma Cases Nationwide
Since 1985, the New York-based mesothelioma attorneys at Levy Konigsberg have been fighting for the rights of those affected by harmful asbestos exposure. If you or a loved one was diagnosed with mesothelioma, financial compensation may be an option. To date, we have recovered more than $3 Billion in compensation for our clients, including individuals suffering from mesothelioma and families of people who have passed away as a result of this incurable cancer.
Our Mesothelioma cancer attorneys are committed to holding asbestos companies and other liable parties accountable and are prepared to use our extensive resources and hard-earned reputation to your benefit.
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be entitled to financial compensation for resulting medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. We encourage you to learn more about our firm, our attorneys, and our successes.
Our mesothelioma law firm also invites you to read reviews from our clients to learn more about how the dedicated mesothelioma lawyers at Levy Konigsberg helped others in situations similar to yours.
Our decades of experience, including national representation of mesothelioma and asbestos exposure cases, have equipped us with the proven skills, extensive resources, and in-depth legal knowledge to effectively advocate for you.
On This Page
- What Is Mesothelioma?
- Filing a Claim
- Why Choose Levy Konigsberg?
- Mesothelioma News
Call (800) 315-3806 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation today with a mesothelioma cancer attorney. Our firm serves clients nationwide.
What Is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that predominately forms in the lining (or the “mesothelium”) surrounding the lungs, heart, stomach, and/or testicles. The only known cause of mesothelioma is asbestos exposure.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring group of minerals. Due to its heat-resistant nature, as well as its natural strength, asbestos has been widely used in a variety of products worldwide since its discovery in the late 19th century.
Common asbestos-containing products include building materials, cement, insulation, plastic, cloth, and paper goods. Talc powder products also commonly contained asbestos.
Unfortunately, asbestos exposure is extremely harmful to humans. When disturbed, asbestos releases microscopic fibers into the air, which can then be inhaled or ingested. Once these fibers enter the body, they can become lodged in the mesothelium lining around the lungs, heart, stomach, or testicles. This can, in turn, lead to the growth of cancerous cells.
The dangers of asbestos exposure have been widely known since at least the early 20th century. However, the asbestos industry has never publicized these dangers or warned consumers about them. It wasn’t until the 1970s that the hazards of asbestos exposure were made known and some bans went into place. Currently, asbestos is not entirely banned in the United States; minimal amounts of asbestos may be used in all types of consumer products.
Although these amounts are small, they are still enough to cause serious injury and illness. We recommend working with an experienced mesothelioma lawyer to help you prove your mesothelioma case.
Who Is Most at Risk?
Those most at risk of being diagnosed with mesothelioma include people who are/were routinely exposed to asbestos and asbestos fibers, typically in the course of their employment.
Workers who must come in contact with asbestos-containing products are more likely to be exposed to and inhale or ingest asbestos fibers. However, anyone who has been routinely exposed to asbestos could be at risk.
Risk factors that increase the likelihood of a mesothelioma diagnosis include:
- Age: Approximately 2 out of 3 people diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma (the most common form of mesothelioma) are 65 or older.
- Gender: More men develop mesothelioma from workplace exposures, but both women and men are increasingly developing mesothelioma from past exposures to asbestos from household products including talc powders.
- Smoking: Smoking alone does not increase the risk of being diagnosed with mesothelioma, but smoking and asbestos exposure together can lead to higher rates of lung cancer.
- Genetics: A mutation of a specific gene, known as BAP1, has been linked to an increased susceptibility of developing mesothelioma from asbestos exposure.
Historically, the most at-risk occupations for asbestos exposure and mesothelioma include:
- Construction workers
- Carpenters, bricklayers, cement workers
- Shipyard workers
- Military servicemembers, particularly Navy servicemembers and veterans
- Industrial, power plant, and mill workers
- Automobile and aircraft mechanics
- 9/11 first responders and cleanup crew members
- Papermill workers
- Sheet metal workers
While these occupations present the highest risk of asbestos exposure and related illnesses, such as asbestosis, anyone who has been exposed to asbestos could be at risk of developing mesothelioma. Speaking to asbestos exposure attorney could help you determine what options are available to you.
Types of Mesothelioma
There are several different types of mesothelioma, categorized by the affected area of the body:
- Pleural Mesothelioma: Pleural mesothelioma affects the lining around the lungs, or the “pleura.” It is, by far, the most common type of mesothelioma, making up about 70 to 75 percent of all mesothelioma cases in the United States.
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma: Peritoneal mesothelioma affects the lining surrounding the stomach and other abdominal organs (the “peritoneum”). It comprises about 10 to 20 percent of all mesothelioma cases in the U.S. and has a slightly better prognosis than pleural mesothelioma.
- Pericardial Mesothelioma: Pericardial mesothelioma is a rare form of mesothelioma that affects the lining surrounding the heart, known as the “pericardium.” This form of mesothelioma accounts for only about 1 percent of all cases in the U.S.
- Testicular Mesothelioma: Testicular mesothelioma is extremely rare, accounting for less than 1 percent of all cases in the U.S. It affects the outer lining of the testes, or the “tunica vaginalis.” Fewer than 100 cases of testicular mesothelioma have been reported.
Symptoms of mesothelioma vary, depending on the type and severity of the cancer. Mesothelioma requires a medical diagnosis and, while treatment is available, it is incurable. Because of its aggressiveness, mesothelioma cancer is almost always fatal. Mesothelioma cancer is also typically diagnosed at an advanced stage.
What You Need to Know About Filing a Mesothelioma Claim
Mesothelioma has no known cure and often causes severe pain, suffering, and other types of damages, such as loss of consortium and loss of income. Additionally, due to the exceedingly high cost of mesothelioma treatments, many families exhaust their savings and accumulate significant financial debt to pay for the medical expenses of their family member. Reaching out to lawyers for mesothelioma cases is often the best recourse for families who are facing these financial hardships.
Under the law of most states, pain and suffering from mesothelioma may be compensated through the award of money damages, usually obtained with the help of experienced mesothelioma attorneys. In some states other types of damages may also be recovered.
Asbestos litigation affords mesothelioma victims the opportunity to receive financial compensation and hold accountable the companies that caused their asbestos exposure—however, it is important that you act quickly if you believe you may have a mesothelioma claim.
If you or your family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should get in touch with a mesothelioma lawyer as early as possible to determine if you have a mesothelioma case. Courts tend to give higher priority to mesothelioma lawsuits when the claimant is still alive.
If you would like to speak to one of our mesothelioma cancer lawyers, contact Levy Konigsberg right away for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation. Our mesothelioma law firm is ready to help.
When you act quickly, we can help you by:
- Protecting your right to bring legal action against the responsible parties within the limited time frame allowed by law, known as statute of limitations
- Seek the maximum allowable compensation in your case by preserving evidence and establishing the facts of asbestos exposure
- Filing and resolving a lawsuit against the responsible parties before they file for bankruptcy or, if they already have, seeking compensation before their bankruptcy trust funds run out of money
Since the 1970s, our founding partners were pioneers in championing the rights of asbestos and mesothelioma victims. In fact, Stan Levy was the first personal injury lawyer in the Northeast to pursue an asbestos case and one of the first mesothelioma attorneys in America.
Later, in 1985, he formed Levy Konigsberg with a mission to apply his extensive experience and legal knowledge to seek justice and financial compensation on behalf of asbestos and mesothelioma victims across the United States.
The size of mesothelioma compensation recovered in an asbestos claim or lawsuit depends on a number of factors, including the medical evidence confirming the claimant’s mesothelioma diagnosis, the severity of the injuries, past and future losses, age, the strength of the identification of the asbestos products that the victim was exposed to, the companies that manufactured, sold, installed and/or possessed these products, and their financial resources, including insurance coverage.
At the same time, many mesothelioma compensation amounts are very significant and may be enough to pay for the mesothelioma victim’s health care expenses and to provide financial security to the surviving family members.
In the course of our law firm’s 25-year-plus history, our mesothelioma lawyers have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in asbestos and mesothelioma compensation for our clients.
Often in groundbreaking cases against the toughest defendants, our mesothelioma law firm has obtained landmark asbestos and mesothelioma jury verdicts for exposures to welding rods, cable, asbestos gaskets and packing, commercial talc, and industrial equipment, including the first ever jury verdicts against welding rod, cable, and commercial talc manufacturers.
Levy Konigsberg LLP is frequently referenced by the legal press for our association with the largest and landmark asbestos and mesothelioma compensation verdicts in virtually every category, including various jurisdictions, types of asbestos products involved, and forms of asbestos exposure.
Why Choose Levy Konigsberg?
Since the 1980s, Levy Konigsberg has evolved into a nationwide powerhouse for mesothelioma litigation in the U.S. Our national mesothelioma lawyers have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, successfully securing multimillion-dollar settlements and verdicts.
Our attorneys have:
- A massive knowledge of asbestos law and science
- Decades of experience to their legal practices
- Tried hundreds of asbestos and mesothelioma cases before juries
- Secured record mesothelioma and asbestos compensation verdicts
- Achieved some of the highest peer reviews and ratings available
- Helped hundreds of satisfied clients
Additionally, we offer:
- A caring and understanding approach to your case
- Personalized attention and counsel based on each unique case
- No upfront costs for handling your mesothelioma case
- Fast and efficient handling of your mesothelioma case
- Frequent case updates and reliable attorney accessibility
Understanding the science of asbestos exposure is an invaluable resource. One of the many benefits of our early involvement in mesothelioma litigation is our access to pioneering researchers and experts in this complex and ever-changing medical field. We put these experts to work on behalf of our clients, in the courtroom and in treatment of their disease.
Our lawyers bring to bear on every case a level of experience that can only come from decades of working together toward a common goal—maximum compensation for mesothelioma victims and their families.
Each new generation of mesothelioma attorneys at the firm acquires the skills, techniques, and knowledge of our senior partners through mentoring relationships. Not only does this benefit every lawyer, but it also benefits our clients in the form of consistently successful representation.
A Long History of Success in Mesothelioma Cases
Countless lawyers who advertise themselves as mesothelioma attorneys have never actually handled an asbestos case before. In fact, they refer them out to real mesothelioma lawyers for a fee.
That is not how we operate.
We are true, experienced mesothelioma attorneys who personally work on each case from beginning to end. We are always happy to meet our clients, whether at our New York or New Jersey offices, at a client’s home or hospital, or anywhere in the country.
Our legal team has succeeded by negotiating tirelessly with manufacturers of asbestos products and their insurance companies, no matter how influential or uncooperative they are. We are even often able to recover compensation from companies that have long been bankrupt.
Most defense lawyers are familiar with our solid reputation and credentials and know in advance that we will not settle for less than the best possible offer. They know that we build every mesothelioma and asbestos case as if it is going to trial, and we have taken hundreds of cases to juries when a fair settlement had not been offered.
The mesothelioma attorneys at Levy Konigsberg have also served as lead counsel in major state and federal mass consolidation cases designed to benefit many hundreds of people diagnosed with mesothelioma and other types of asbestos-related diseases.
We are proud of the work our lawyers do on behalf of our clients, often in groundbreaking cases against the toughest defendants. Our law firm has obtained landmark asbestos and mesothelioma jury verdicts for exposures to welding rods, cable, asbestos gaskets and packing, commercial talc, and industrial equipment, including the first-ever jury verdicts against welding rod, cable, and commercial talk manufacturers.
Our law firm is frequently referenced by the legal press for our association with the largest and landmark asbestos and mesothelioma verdicts in virtually every category, including various jurisdictions, types of asbestos products involved, and forms of asbestos exposure.
We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for victims of mesothelioma and asbestos cancers, and we are prepared to fight for you.
Providing Your Case with the Individual Attention It Deserves
Unfortunately, many law firms today use a generalized approach to handling cases of the same type, even those as complex as mesothelioma cases.
With a goal of cutting back on the time spent on each case, they use broad-brush practices and techniques to process cases as fast as they can, often risking the possibility of missing important details in a case and, thus, undermining the goal of negotiating the best possible compensation for their clients.
Contrary to such mentality, we treat every case as if it was our only one. We investigate each case with a team of lawyers, paralegals, and leading experts in the field, all while being in constant communication with the clients, to ensure that we have done everything we could to reach the full potential of each individual case.
In many courts, mesothelioma cases are treated urgently and given high priority. This is particularly true if the claimant is alive. In some jurisdictions, the entire case can be resolved within four to five months; in others, it can take longer.
Here, at Levy Konigsberg, our mesothelioma cancer attorneys do everything possible to avoid delays and move our clients’ cases as quickly as we can. We accomplish this in large part due to the coordinated work of our team members and the fact that every mesothelioma case goes through a strict control and supervision, including regular follow-ups and reviews by the lead lawyers.
Our mesothelioma attorneys update clients on a regular basis, so that they always know of every important development on their case and that it is being taken care of. Our lawyers and support staff take every phone call with a high level of priority and try to answer them on the spot.
If unavailable at that very moment, we call clients back as promptly as possible. It is not uncommon that our mesothelioma attorneys provide clients with their personal cell phone numbers to address any urgent questions that the clients may have in the future.
Reach Out to Our Award-Winning Mesothelioma Attorneys Today for a Free Consultation
Our mesothelioma attorneys fight for justice on behalf of innocent people, including the victims of deadly asbestos exposure. Companies that knew the threat asbestos poses must be held accountable for the illnesses and harm that resulted from their negligence. If you were exposed to asbestos, the mesothelioma lawyers at Levy Konigsberg are ready to help.
Our partners have been honored with an AV® Preeminent™ rating, the highest given, from the nationwide Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™. Year after year, our partners are designated by their peers as Super Lawyers® and as the Best Lawyers® in America.
While we are proud of our awards and accolades, our clients remain the central and most important part of our practice. Their satisfaction is our top priority. We understand that every client’s case is their whole life. Our attorneys treat each client with the care they deserve, addressing their unique needs and doing our utmost to help them put their life back together as much as possible.
We offer a free initial consultation, and cover the expenses of building your case, so there is no cost to you unless we recover compensation for you.
While our offices are located in New York and New Jersey, many of our mesothelioma lawyers are licensed to practice law in a number of U.S. states and have the capability and extensive experience to represent clients throughout the United States.
If you have questions, concerns, or would like to schedule a free consultation with a mesothelioma cancer attorney, please call (800) 315-3806 or contact us online today.
- New Jersey Mesothelioma Lawyer Helps Obtain Ruling on Equipment Liability
- Levy Konigsberg Teams With Mesothelioma Clients to Help Get Talc Out Of Baby Powder
- J&J Removes Talc from Baby Powder - How Does This Affect the Mesothelioma Lawsuits?
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Landmark Appeal in Asbestos-Containing Talcum Powder Case
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $750 million Baby Powder Punitive Damages Verdict Against J&J
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $37 million Baby Powder Verdict Against J&J
- LK Wins $325 Million Mesothelioma Verdict Against Johnson & Johnson for Asbestos in Baby Powder (This case is currently awaiting final review on appeal)
- Boston Jury Awards $43.1 Million Verdict in Cigarette Smoking-Asbestos Exposure Lung Cancer Trial
- LK's Historic $117 Million Verdict in Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder Mesothelioma Trial
- LK Wins Ruling Allowing Mesothelioma Ship Worker’s Case To Proceed in New York
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Ruling in Mesothelioma & Asbestos Brake Case
- LK Mesothelioma Department - Highlights and Lessons Learned in 2017
- A Letter of Gratitude To Our Dear Veterans
- LK Wins $16.5 Million Verdict In New York’s First Cosmetic Talc Trial Involving A Woman With Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- LK Wins Mesothelioma Ruling for Navy Serviceman and Family
- Mesothelioma Law Firm Collects $7.98 Million for Power Plant Worker
- Kayaking for Mesothelioma: Reflections on a Father-Son Trip
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Motion on Behalf of U.S.S. Roan Navy Veteran Who Developed Mesothelioma in New York
- New York City Judge Rules that Asbestos Lung Cancer Case Can Proceed to Trial – Levy Konigsberg, LLP Successfully Argues Defendant Waived their Right to Cross-Examine
- Levy Konigsberg Wins $7 Million Mesothelioma Verdict in NY’s First Ever Asbestos Contaminated Consumer Talcum Powder Trial
Our High-Impact cases
VERDICT IN FOUR MESOTHELIOMA CASES $750 Million
LARGEST MESOTHELIOMA VERDICT IN U.S. HISTORY $325 Million
This case is currently awaiting final review on appeal.
LANDMARK MESOTHELIOMA CASE $117 Million
Landmark Mesothelioma Case $117 Million
Stephen and Kendra Lanzo v. Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc. and Imerys Talc America, Inc.
Mesothelioma Case $90.5 Million
Johns Manville I
Mesothelioma Case $47.2 Million
Consorti, Luchnick, Pulizzi, Tabolt
Mesothelioma Case $37.3 Million
Douglas Barden et al. v. Johnson & Johnson (“J&J) and Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc. (“JJCI”)
Mesothelioma Case $30.3 Million
Susan Buttitta v. Asbestos Corp., et al.
Mesothelioma Case $23 Million
City of Baltimore v. U.S. Gypsum et al.
Mesothelioma Case $22 Million
Mesothelioma Case $19.5 Million
Matteson, Lustenring v. AC & S, Inc., et al.
Mesothelioma Case $18.5 Million
New York Brooklyn Navy Yard Consolidated Asbestos Litigation
Mesothelioma Case $18.2 Million
Ronsini, Cardinal, Hoz
Mesothelioma Case $18.2 Million
Gantcher, White, Venturno, Dollas, Mangialomini
Mesothelioma Case $16.5 Million
Florence Nemeth v. Whittaker Clark & Daniels, et al.
Mesothelioma Case $14.3 Million
New York Consolidated Powerhouse Asbestos Litigation
Mesothelioma Case $14.3 Million
Ciletti, McPadden, Greff
Mesothelioma Case $12.1 Million
City of Baltimore v. Owens-Corning et al.
Mesothelioma Case $10.6 Million
Mesothelioma Case $10 Million
Levy Konigsberg’s landmark jury verdicts and settlements make a difference in the lives of our clients and the public. Our cases have changed the law to make people safer and resulted in dangerous products being removed from the market. Our attorneys handle a broad range of cases, including cases involving mesothelioma, lead poisoning, water contamination, sexual abuse, pharmaceutical liability, tobacco injuries, toxic chemical exposure, and more. We have been nationally recognized for our long history of achieving record-setting results.
The attorneys of Levy Konigsberg have appeared as legal analysts on numerous local and national news outlets, including NBC, USA Today, and AP. Our firm has been featured by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and other highly respected publications for our noteworthy case results and numerous successes in high-profile civil litigation matters. We have also been frequently recognized by local news stations and media for our legal achievements and commitment to bettering the communities we serve.
Johnson & Johnson Will Stop Selling Talc Baby Powder Around the WorldView Article
- Class Actions,
- Cancer Cases,
- Firm News
Asbestos and Talcum Powder: How Are They Related?View Article
Levy Konigsberg Lands Historic Win for New Jersey Mesothelioma PlaintiffsView Article
- Firm News
You Can Trust