Mesothelioma diagnosis is established through a variety of methods including radiology, cytology, and pathology.
Often mesothelioma is first detected, or suspected, after a chest X-ray (in the case of pleural mesothelioma) or CT scan is taken. However, a mesothelioma diagnosis cannot be made by radiology alone. Chest X-rays may reveal abnormalities consistent with mesothelioma. Tests, such as CT scans, provide more details than chest x-rays and are helpful in staging the cancer after the diagnosis of mesothelioma is made. Among the abnormalities associated with mesothelioma that may be identified by chest X-rays or CT scans are pleural thickening and pleural effusions.
Laboratory analysis of fluid from a pleural effusion is often the first diagnostic mesothelioma test used to determine whether a person has the cancer. Also, cytological examination of fluid often precedes a mesothelioma test, known as a biopsy, which is a more invasive technique.
Diagnosis of mesothelioma can be determined based on cytological examination, particularly where it is combined with cytogenetic analysis of the fluid. However, positive cytology results should be confirmed, if possible. This is done by way of a biopsy of the suspicious tissue. Negative cytology results should also be followed with a biopsy, where mesothelioma is suspected, because cytological examination is not sensitive enough to catch many cases of mesothelioma1.
The most effective way to establish a pleural mesothelioma diagnosis is through a biopsy of pleural tissue or peritoneal tissue, in the case of peritoneal mesothelioma diagnosis. The more tissue that is examined, the more accurate the diagnosis of mesothelioma will be.
For cases of pleural mesothelioma, a transbronchial biopsy can be used, which involves insertion of a tube into the throat and does not require surgery, while providing a small tissue sample. Although less desirable, more invasive surgical procedures that provides a greater tissue sample will support a more accurate mesothelioma diagnosis. After a piece of tissue is removed from the potentially affected body organ, the mesothelioma diagnosis is made through well-established immunohistological staining performed by a pathologist.
ATTENTION: Mesothelioma has no known cure and often causes severe pain, suffering,
and other types of damage, such as loss of consortium, and loss of income.
Additionally, due to the exceedingly high cost of mesothelioma treatments,
many families exhaust savings and accumulate financial debt in order to
pay for the medical expenses of their family member.
Under the law of most states, pain and suffering from mesothelioma may be compensated through the award of money damages, usually obtained with the help of experienced mesothelioma attorneys. In some states other types of damages may also be recovered.
Asbestos litigation affords mesothelioma victims the opportunity to receive financial compensation and hold accountable the companies that caused their asbestos exposure.
IMPORTANT: If you or your family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should get in touch with a mesothelioma lawyer as early as possible to determine if you have a mesothelioma case and to:
- Preserve your rights to bring a legal action against the responsible parties within the limited time frame allowed by law, known as statute of limitations;
Obtain maximum compensation in your case by being able to:
- Preserve evidence and establish facts of the asbestos exposure while the claimant is still alive and able to provide information;
- File and resolve a lawsuit against the responsible parties before they file for bankruptcy or, if they already have, to obtain compensation before their bankruptcy trust funds run out of money;
- Expedite your case, as courts tend to give higher priority to mesothelioma lawsuits where the claimant is still alive.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
NOTE: While our offices are located in the states of New York, New Jersey, and Georgia, many of our mesothelioma lawyers are licensed to practice law in a number of U.S. states and have the capability and extensive experience of representing mesothelioma clients throughout the United States. You are encouraged to contact us with any questions.
1 Renshaw et al., The Role of Cytologic Evaluation of Pleural Fluid in the Diagnosis of Malignant Mesothelioma, Clinical Investigations, Chest, January 1997.
- New Jersey Mesothelioma Lawyer Helps Obtain Ruling on Equipment Liability
- Levy Konigsberg Teams With Mesothelioma Clients to Help Get Talc Out Of Baby Powder
- J&J Removes Talc from Baby Powder - How Does This Affect the Mesothelioma Lawsuits?
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Landmark Appeal in Asbestos-Containing Talcum Powder Case
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $750 million Baby Powder Punitive Damages Verdict Against J&J
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $37 million Baby Powder Verdict Against J&J
- LK Wins $325 Million Mesothelioma Verdict Against Johnson & Johnson for Asbestos in Baby Powder
- Boston Jury Awards $43.1 Million Verdict in Cigarette Smoking-Asbestos Exposure Lung Cancer Trial
- LK's Historic $117 Million Verdict in Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder Mesothelioma Trial
- LK Wins Ruling Allowing Mesothelioma Ship Worker’s Case To Proceed in New York
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Ruling in Mesothelioma & Asbestos Brake Case
- LK Mesothelioma Department - Highlights and Lessons Learned in 2017
- A Letter of Gratitude To Our Dear Veterans
- LK Wins $16.5 Million Verdict In New York’s First Cosmetic Talc Trial Involving A Woman With Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- LK Wins Mesothelioma Ruling for Navy Serviceman and Family
- Mesothelioma Law Firm Collects $7.98 Million for Power Plant Worker
- Kayaking for Mesothelioma: Reflections on a Father-Son Trip
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Motion on Behalf of U.S.S. Roan Navy Veteran Who Developed Mesothelioma in New York
- New York City Judge Rules that Asbestos Lung Cancer Case Can Proceed to Trial – Levy Konigsberg, LLP Successfully Argues Defendant Waived their Right to Cross-Examine
- Levy Konigsberg Wins $7 Million Mesothelioma Verdict in NY’s First Ever Asbestos Contaminated Consumer Talcum Powder Trial
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
They truly made a difference in our lives!- Jonathan McNulty
Outstanding law firm!- R.M.
No need to look any further.- Todd Allen
They were the clear choice!- Bruce Totterdale
Forever grateful!- Diane Hoefer
The best and brightest!- Paulette
Simply incredible!- IBS LMM
Knowledgeable guidance and representation.- Steven Simon
They are good people who want to help you.- Edwin Jimenez
They won us a lot of money.- Karen