How to get started?
If you or someone close to you has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you have probably heard or read about the possibility of obtaining financial compensation by way of a mesothelioma lawsuit.
It can be difficult to navigate the maze of television commercials and websites to figure out how to get the process started.
There are really three simple steps to get started with a mesothelioma lawsuit:
- Presenting proof of a mesothelioma diagnosis;
- Providing information about asbestos exposure; and
- Choosing a highly experienced mesothelioma law firm.
I. Presenting Proof of a Mesothelioma Diagnosis
When contacting a law firm experienced in handling mesothelioma lawsuits, you will first need to present some proof of a mesothelioma diagnosis. The following records can be used to get the process started:
- Pathology report that states “mesothelioma”;
- Oncology medical record that states “mesothelioma”;
- Death certificate that states “mesothelioma” (if person is deceased).
Even though exposure to asbestos increases a person’s risk of developing mesothelioma, a person cannot file a mesothelioma lawsuit unless the person already has proof of a mesothelioma diagnosis. Law firms experienced in handling mesothelioma lawsuits have expertise in ordering medical records that may provide evidence of a mesothelioma diagnosis.
II. Providing Information about Asbestos Exposure
In order to file a mesothelioma lawsuit, the person diagnosed with the disease must have some information that would demonstrate prior exposure to asbestos. Generally, the best source of information as to a person’s asbestos exposure is the memory of the person who was diagnosed with mesothelioma or the person who worked with or around asbestos-containing products.
A person can be exposed to asbestos from directly working with asbestos products (direct asbestos exposure), from working in the same area as others working with asbestos products (bystander asbestos exposure) or by laundering contaminated work clothing or otherwise having contact with clothing that is soiled with asbestos dust (take-home exposure).
Law firms experienced in handling mesothelioma lawsuit also have documents and other information relating to asbestos exposures that occurred at many work sites where asbestos exposure was common.
III. Choosing a Highly Experienced Mesothelioma Law Firm
A mesothelioma lawsuit is not a simple case. You must have a law firm that is highly experienced in handling these cases. The firm must be knowledgeable about many areas, including: the many different ways that people can be exposed to asbestos, the many different products that contained asbestos, and the medical and scientific issues relating to the diagnosis and causation of mesothelioma.
You should find out information about the firm, including how long they have been handling mesothelioma cases, how many jury verdicts and settlements they have obtained, and whether they have received awards and recognitions for their work in these cases. Once you choose a highly experienced mesothelioma law firm, the firm can take the necessary legal steps to get your lawsuit filed and move the case toward settlement or trial.
Levy Konigsberg LLP has been successfully handling mesothelioma lawsuits for thirty-plus years. The firm’s founder, Stanley Levy, was one of the first lawyers in the Northeastern United States to file cases on behalf of those suffering from mesothelioma.
The firm has won landmark jury verdicts in mesothelioma cases including the highest mesothelioma jury verdict ever upheld on appeal in the United States. The firm was recognized in 2013 by the U.S. News & World Report as “Plaintiff’s Product Liability Law Firm of the Year”. The firm also contributes to the fight to cure mesothelioma and has contributed more than $1 million for this cause.
FOR A FREE LEGAL CONSULTATION OR TO DISCUSS YOUR PERSONAL SITUATION RELATING TO A MESOTHELIOMA DIAGNOSIS, PLEASE CALL THE FIRM AT (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry.
ATTENTION: Mesothelioma has no known cure and often causes severe pain, suffering, and other types of damage, such as loss of consortium, and loss of income.
Additionally, due to the exceedingly high cost of mesothelioma treatments,
many families exhaust savings and accumulate financial debt in order to
pay for the medical expenses of their family member.
Under the law of most states, pain and suffering from mesothelioma may be compensated through the award of money damages, usually obtained with the help of experienced mesothelioma attorneys. In some states other types of damages may also be recovered.
Asbestos litigation affords mesothelioma victims the opportunity to receive financial compensation and hold accountable the companies that caused their asbestos exposure.
IMPORTANT: If you or your family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should get in touch with a mesothelioma lawyer as early as possible to determine if you have a mesothelioma case and to:
- Preserve your rights to bring a legal action against the responsible parties within the limited time frame allowed by law, known as statute of limitations;
Obtain maximum compensation in your case by being able to:
- Preserve evidence and establish facts of the asbestos exposure while the claimant is still alive and able to provide information;
- File and resolve a lawsuit against the responsible parties before they file for bankruptcy or, if they already have, to obtain compensation before their bankruptcy trust funds run out of money;
- Expedite your case, as courts tend to give higher priority to mesothelioma lawsuits where the claimant is still alive.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline at 1-800-MESO-LAW (1-800-637-6529) or by submitting an email inquiry (see form above). Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
NOTE: While our offices are located in the states of New York, New Jersey, and Georgia, many of our mesothelioma lawyers are licensed to practice law in a number of U.S. states and have the capability and extensive experience of representing mesothelioma clients throughout the United States. You are encouraged to contact us with any questions.
- New Jersey Mesothelioma Lawyer Helps Obtain Ruling on Equipment Liability
- Levy Konigsberg Teams With Mesothelioma Clients to Help Get Talc Out Of Baby Powder
- J&J Removes Talc from Baby Powder - How Does This Affect the Mesothelioma Lawsuits?
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Landmark Appeal in Asbestos-Containing Talcum Powder Case
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $750 million Baby Powder Punitive Damages Verdict Against J&J
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $37 million Baby Powder Verdict Against J&J
- LK Wins $325 Million Mesothelioma Verdict Against Johnson & Johnson for Asbestos in Baby Powder (This case is currently awaiting final review on appeal)
- Boston Jury Awards $43.1 Million Verdict in Cigarette Smoking-Asbestos Exposure Lung Cancer Trial
- LK's Historic $117 Million Verdict in Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder Mesothelioma Trial
- LK Wins Ruling Allowing Mesothelioma Ship Worker’s Case To Proceed in New York
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Ruling in Mesothelioma & Asbestos Brake Case
- LK Mesothelioma Department - Highlights and Lessons Learned in 2017
- A Letter of Gratitude To Our Dear Veterans
- LK Wins $16.5 Million Verdict In New York’s First Cosmetic Talc Trial Involving A Woman With Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- LK Wins Mesothelioma Ruling for Navy Serviceman and Family
- Mesothelioma Law Firm Collects $7.98 Million for Power Plant Worker
- Kayaking for Mesothelioma: Reflections on a Father-Son Trip
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Motion on Behalf of U.S.S. Roan Navy Veteran Who Developed Mesothelioma in New York
- New York City Judge Rules that Asbestos Lung Cancer Case Can Proceed to Trial – Levy Konigsberg, LLP Successfully Argues Defendant Waived their Right to Cross-Examine
- Levy Konigsberg Wins $7 Million Mesothelioma Verdict in NY’s First Ever Asbestos Contaminated Consumer Talcum Powder Trial
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Know the DifferenceCommitted to Doing What's Right
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Thousands of Clients HelpedHear What They Have to Say
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale
Johnson & Johnson Will Stop Selling Talc Baby Powder Around the WorldView Article
- Class Actions,
- Cancer Cases,
- Firm News
Asbestos and Talcum Powder: How Are They Related?View Article
Levy Konigsberg Lands Historic Win for New Jersey Mesothelioma PlaintiffsView Article
- Firm News