Mesothelioma is a very rare and deadly asbestos cancer, for which no cure has yet been found. A number of alternative and traditional mesothelioma treatment options have been developed to help contain the spread of the disease and prolong life.
Meanwhile, successful mesothelioma treatment options are still being explored and investigated by mesothelioma clinics and medical research groups.
Traditional mesothelioma treatment options include:
A pleurectomy is the surgical removal of the pleura (lining of the lung affected by mesothelioma).
It is one type of mesothelioma surgery for pleural mesothelioma and is known as a radical pleurectomy and decortification (P/D). A medical debate exists about whether a P/D is more beneficial for patients than an extra pleural pneumonectomy (EPP)1.
A pneumonectomy is surgical removal of the lung and pleura. It is another alternative for pleural mesothelioma treatment and is known as extra pleural pneumonectomy (EPP)2.
The EPP involves the following steps:
- Incision and exposure of the pleura (parietal);
- Dissection of the tumor and parietal pleura from the chest wall, diaphragm, and mediastinum;
- Division and control of the pulmonary vessels and bronchus followed by lymph node dissection;
- Resection of the lung, pleura, pericardium, and diaphragm;
- Reconstruction of the pericardium and diaphragm.
Gastrointestinal debulking is surgical removal of a tumor from the gastrointestinal tract. It is one of the most common types of traditional mesothelioma treatment for peritoneal mesothelioma. It is followed by post-surgical intraperitoneal chemotherapy.
With this procedure, a heated chemotherapy agent is directly administered into the peritoneal space immediately after the debulking portion of the surgery3.
One of the leading hospitals in this new approach and alternative to treating peritoneal mesothelioma is The Columbia University Mesothelioma Center in New York City.
Recent development of mesothelioma treatment options includes successful chemotherapeutic agents such as Alimta and Cisplatin.
Currently, Alimta and Cisplatin are the only prescription drugs to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as alternative mesothelioma treatments for malignant pleural mesothelioma patients. In studies, such as those published in the July 2006 issue of the Journal of Thoracic Oncology, patients who took Alimta (pemetrexed) with or without Cisplatin – a widely used platinum-containing chemotherapy drug – demonstrated a marked improvement in their condition.
Manufactured by Eli Lilly and Company, Alimta impedes the enzymes that cancer cells require to reproduce. While, Alimta and Cisplatin will not cleanse cancer from the body, these pleural mesothelioma medications may extend a patient’s life.
It is essential that before patients begin taking Alimta and Cisplatin they notify their mesothelioma doctor if they are taking ibuprofen or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs used to treat pain or arthritis and if they have kidney problems.
Alimta/Cisplatin patients should take 350 to 1000 micrograms of folic acid per day, for five days, the week before they begin treatment. This should continue until 21 days after the last cycle of Alimta. Patients should also take dexamethasone, a steroid medication, to curb the risk of adverse effects. Unless a mesothelioma doctor recommends differently, dexamethasone should be taken twice per day, on the day before, the day of, and the day after Alimta treatment.
Radiation therapy is usually used in conjunction with surgery and/or chemotherapy. It attacks cancer cells through the use of high-energy X-rays. Different types of radiation that are used to treat malignant mesothelioma include:
- External beam radiation therapy;
- Adjuvant radiation therapy;
- Palliative radiation therapy.
ATTENTION: Mesothelioma has no known cure and often causes severe pain, suffering,
and other types of damage, such as loss of consortium, and loss of income.
Additionally, due to the exceedingly high cost of mesothelioma treatments,
many families exhaust savings and accumulate financial debt in order to
pay for the medical expenses of their family member.
Under the law of most states, pain and suffering from mesothelioma may be compensated through the award of money damages, usually obtained with the help of experienced mesothelioma attorneys. In some states other types of damages may also be recovered.
Asbestos litigation affords mesothelioma victims the opportunity to receive financial compensation and hold accountable the companies that caused their asbestos exposure.
IMPORTANT: If you or your family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should get in touch with a mesothelioma lawyer as early as possible to determine if you have a mesothelioma case and to:
- Preserve your rights to bring a legal action against the responsible parties within the limited time frame allowed by law, known as statute of limitations;
Obtain maximum compensation in your case by being able to:
- Preserve evidence and establish facts of the asbestos exposure while the claimant is still alive and able to provide information;
- File and resolve a lawsuit against the responsible parties before they file for bankruptcy or, if they already have, to obtain compensation before their bankruptcy trust funds run out of money;
- Expedite your case, as courts tend to give higher priority to mesothelioma lawsuits where the claimant is still alive.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
NOTE: While our offices are located in the states of New York, New Jersey, and Georgia, many of our mesothelioma lawyers are licensed to practice law in a number of U.S. states and have the capability and extensive experience of representing mesothelioma clients throughout the United States. You are encouraged to contact us with any questions.
1 Robert B. Cameron, Extra pleural Pneumonectomy is the Preferred Surgical
Management in the Multimodality Therapy of Pleural Mesothelioma: Con Argument,
Annals of Surgical Oncology, 2006;
2 Argote-Greene et al., Extrapleural Pneumonectomy for Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma, Multimedia Manual of Cardiothoracic Surgery, June 28, 2005);
3 Feldman et al., Analysis of Factors Associated with Outcome in Patients with Malignant Mesothelioma Undergoing Surgical Debulking and Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol 21, Issue 24, 2003.
- New Jersey Mesothelioma Lawyer Helps Obtain Ruling on Equipment Liability
- Levy Konigsberg Teams With Mesothelioma Clients to Help Get Talc Out Of Baby Powder
- J&J Removes Talc from Baby Powder - How Does This Affect the Mesothelioma Lawsuits?
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Landmark Appeal in Asbestos-Containing Talcum Powder Case
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $750 million Baby Powder Punitive Damages Verdict Against J&J
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $37 million Baby Powder Verdict Against J&J
- LK Wins $325 Million Mesothelioma Verdict Against Johnson & Johnson for Asbestos in Baby Powder (This case is currently awaiting final review on appeal)
- Boston Jury Awards $43.1 Million Verdict in Cigarette Smoking-Asbestos Exposure Lung Cancer Trial
- LK's Historic $117 Million Verdict in Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder Mesothelioma Trial
- LK Wins Ruling Allowing Mesothelioma Ship Worker’s Case To Proceed in New York
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Ruling in Mesothelioma & Asbestos Brake Case
- LK Mesothelioma Department - Highlights and Lessons Learned in 2017
- A Letter of Gratitude To Our Dear Veterans
- LK Wins $16.5 Million Verdict In New York’s First Cosmetic Talc Trial Involving A Woman With Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- LK Wins Mesothelioma Ruling for Navy Serviceman and Family
- Mesothelioma Law Firm Collects $7.98 Million for Power Plant Worker
- Kayaking for Mesothelioma: Reflections on a Father-Son Trip
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Motion on Behalf of U.S.S. Roan Navy Veteran Who Developed Mesothelioma in New York
- New York City Judge Rules that Asbestos Lung Cancer Case Can Proceed to Trial – Levy Konigsberg, LLP Successfully Argues Defendant Waived their Right to Cross-Examine
- Levy Konigsberg Wins $7 Million Mesothelioma Verdict in NY’s First Ever Asbestos Contaminated Consumer Talcum Powder Trial
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale