Michigan: Mesothelioma Lawyers Help MI Asbestos Victims
LANSING, MICHIGAN – MESOTHELIOMA LAWYERS FROM THE NATIONAL ASBESTOS LITIGATION FIRM OF LEVY KONIGSBERG LLP (“LK”) ARE CONTINUING TO HELP MICHIGAN MESOTHELIOMA PATIENTS AND FAMILIES OBTAIN LEGAL COMPENSATION FROM COMPANIES THAT MANUFACTURED, SOLD OR USED ASBESTOS-CONTAINING PRODUCTS.
Every year, thousands of men and women across the country are diagnosed with mesothelioma including many in Michigan. Even more are diagnosed with lung cancer and asbestosis. According to statistics compiled by the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation, over 650 individuals in Michigan passed away from mesothelioma between 1999 and 2005. All of these asbestos-related diseases could have been prevented if workers had been properly protected from exposure to asbestos.
Mesothelioma lawyers at LK proudly represent the hardworking families of mesothelioma victims. Our attorneys are skilled in identifying the unique asbestos exposures suffered by individuals who reside or worked in Michigan.
Known as the “car capital of the world,” generations upon generations of families in and around Detroit were involved in producing the automobiles of Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler. Many other individuals were employed by the suppliers to the “Big Three,” including manufacturers of clutches, brakes and engine components. Work performed at these manufacturing facilities exposed employees and other visitors to vast amounts of asbestos dust on a regular basis.
Often overlooked by consumers was the vast and complicated system necessary for the manufacture of automobiles. Tradespeople of all backgrounds were necessary to fulfill the critical functions of these automobile plants. Blast furnace work, iron and steel fabrication, and smelting and welding, although not generally associated with consumer automobiles, were performed in poorly ventilated and dangerous workspaces. Boilers, furnaces, pumps, valves, and other equipment, were installed, maintained and repaired on a regular basis. Various trades, including pipefitters, boilermakers, insulators, millwrights, and laborers, operated and maintained equipment necessary for these plants to produce automobiles. Mesothelioma lawyers at LK are skilled in identifying the unique sources of asbestos exposure suffered by employees of the automotive industry.
Employees and visitors to these manufacturing facilities were not the only individuals at risk of developing serious illnesses from asbestos exposure. Many employees wore their work uniforms home, exposing their family and friends to the asbestos fibers collected on their clothes. Known as “take home” exposure, hardworking automotive employees unknowingly transferred asbestos fibers from their workplace to their homes and automobiles. Attorneys at LK have successfully represented families who have experienced the devastating pain of a “take home” mesothelioma diagnosis. In 2008, Moshe Maimon, an LK partner, represented a victim of “take home” exposure linked to work performed at a GM warehouse in Bloomfield, New Jersey. A thorough investigation revealed that the plaintiff’s father and brother, through their work at this automotive facility, unknowingly took home vast amounts of asbestos fibers, which contributed to the mesothelioma diagnosis. For more information on this automotive “take home” case, please click here.
If you or a loved one worked in the automotive industry and have developed an asbestos-related illness, contact LK for a free consultation. For decades, we have successfully represented victims of mesothelioma who performed the backbreaking work involved in producing automotive products. Our mesothelioma lawyers are skilled at identifying the products which may have exposed you to asbestos fibers.
A powerful cog in the war effort, employees of Defoe Shipbuilding were a critical part of the civilian successes of World War II. Between 1939 and 1945, employees and independent contractors assembled 154 ships, including minesweepers, destroyer escorts and patrol and landing craft. After the war, employees began conversions and overhauls of Great Lakes ships. Before closing its doors for good, employees of Defore fabricated and assembled Garcia-class destroyer escorts, frigates, guided-missile destroyers, for the U.S. Navy and the Royal Australian Navy.
Vessel building, repair and overhaul work in Michigan typically occurred in cramped spaces with poor ventilation systems, resulting in regular exposure to high levels of asbestos dust. Individuals at these shipyards regularly worked with and around equipment and machinery which required asbestos-containing materials. Shipyard employees, independent contractors and military personnel frequently were exposed to asbestos dust from gaskets, packing, raw asbestos, insulation, and other asbestos-containing materials throughout their careers at these shipyards. Mesothelioma lawyers at LK are experienced in identifying the unique asbestos exposures suffered by individuals who were employed at shipyards. Despite your job responsibilities at the shipyard, there are many areas of asbestos exposure which an LK attorney will investigate.
No matter where you worked, attorneys at LK will thoroughly investigate your worksites to determine all possible sources of asbestos exposure which you may have suffered. We understand the trust your family places in our firm when you allow us to pursue your asbestos claim. At LK, we assign an entire team to your case, including attorneys, investigators, and paralegals. As an LK client, you have the benefit of an entire team working on your behalf to hold the manufacturers of these asbestos-containing products responsible. For decades, we have successfully investigated a variety of military and civilian worksites, through representation of insulators, boilermakers, laborers, carpenters, mechanics, assembly line workers, installers, farmers, painters, pipefitters, independent contractors, millwrights, machinists, and sailors.
Individual Case Review
In Michigan, and across the country, many people also developed mesothelioma from non-occupational asbestos exposures, such as automotive work, home renovations and other hobbies, or from “second-hand asbestos exposure,” which occurred when work clothes contaminated with asbestos were worn home. An experienced LK mesothelioma lawyer will assist your family in determining all possible sources of your exposure to asbestos dust.
Michigan worksites where asbestos exposure was common include:
Figure 1. Map of the most common asbestos exposure worksites in the State of Michigan.
- Benton Harbor Malleable Corp (Benton Harbor, MI)
- Coloma Building (Benton Harbor, MI)
- Cook Nuclear Power Plant (Benton Harbor, MI)
- Harbor Metal Treating Company (Benton Harbor, MI)
- Saranac Machine Company (Benton Harbor, MI)
- St. Joseph and Benton Harbor Railway (Benton Harbor, MI)
- Universal Looseleaf Corp (Benton Harbor, MI)
- Whirlpool (Benton Harbor, MI)
- Alexander-Stafford Corporation (Big Rapids, MI)
- Ferris Institute (Big Rapids, MI)
- Hanchett Manufacturing Company (Big Rapids, MI)
- Holwerda Hoizenga Company (Big Rapids, MI)
- Michigan Consolidated Gas Company (Big Rapids, MI)
- Pumping Station (Big Rapids, MI)
- Advance Steam Plant (Boyne City, MI)
- Michigan 47 Steam Plant (Boyne City, MI)
- Northern Michigan Elec Coop Inc. (Boyne City, MI)
- Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation (Boyne City, MI)
- Wolverine Power Supply Coop (Boyne City, MI)
- Detroit, Flint and Saginaw Railway Company (Bridgeport, MI)
- Frumburger Furnaces (Bridgeport, MI)
- Robert O. Williams, Inc. (Bridgeport, MI)
- Saginaio and Flint Railway (Bridgeport, MI)
- Brand Insulation (Bridgman, MI)
- Bridgeman Nuclear Plant (Bridgman, MI)
- Donald C Cook Nuclear Plant (Bridgman, MI)
- Indiana Michigan Electric Company (Bridgman, MI)
- Capac Industries Inc. (Capac, MI)
- Capac Paper Company (Capac, MI)
- Pilgrim Paper Company (Capac, MI)
- Saint Clair Paper Company (Capac, MI)
- Charlevoix Elect Light and Water Works (Charlevoix, MI)
- Consumers Power Company (Charlevoix, MI)
- Medusa Portland Cement (Charlevoix, MI)
- National Construction. Company (Charlevoix, MI)
- West Michigan Sugar Company(Charlevoix, MI)
- Allied Chemical Solvay (Delray, MI)
- Detroit Edison Company (Delray, MI)
- Scott Paper Company (Delray, MI)
- Scott Paper Mill (Delray, MI)
- Semet-Solvay Company (Delray, MI)
- Wheeling Coke Ovens (Delray, MI)
- Beckwith Company (Dowagiac, MI)
- Consolidated Die Castings Company (Dowagiac, MI)
- Consolidated Oil (Dowagiac, MI)
- Du Wel Aluminum Prod (Dowagiac, MI)
- Estate of P.D. Beckwith Inc (Dowagiac, MI)
- Jessco Inc (Dowagiac, MI)
- Round Oak Stove Works (Dowagiac, MI)
- General Motors (East Lansing, MI)
- Pesticide Research Center (East Lansing, MI)
- Spitzley Corporation (East Lansing, MI)
- Su Pesticide Research Center (East Lansing, MI)
- Consumers Power Company (Erie, MI)
- Erie Power House (Erie, MI)
- Erie Steam Plant (Erie, MI)
- Jr Whiting (Erie, MI)
- P Whiting Plant (Erie, MI)
- Consumers Energy Company (Essexville, MI)
- Consumers Power Company (Essexville, MI)
- Karn (Essexville, MI)
- Ford Motor Company (Farmington, MI)
- Mac Farlane & Mays Company (Farmington, MI)
- Turbo Tool (Farmington, MI)
- Ethyl Corporation (Ferndale, MI)
- Reichhold Chemicals, Inc. (Ferndale, MI)
- Steel and Tubes, Inc. (Ferndale, MI)
- American Box Board Company (Filer City, MI)
- American Pulp and Paper Company (Filer City, MI)
- Filer Fibre Company (Filer City, MI)
- Great Lakes Chemical Corporation (Filer City, MI)
- Packaging Corporation of America (Filer City, MI)
- Tenneco Packaging (Filer City, MI)
- Boc Group of GMC (Grand Blanc, MI)
- Fisher Body (Grand Blanc, MI)
- General Motors (Grand Blanc, MI)
- Grand Blanc Tank Plant (Grand Blanc, MI)
- Consumers Power Company (Greenville, MI)
- Uncle Ben’s Food (Greenville, MI) Waste Water Treatment Plant (Greenville, MI)
- Briggs Manufacturing Company (Hamtramck, MI)
- Chrysler Corporation (Hamtramck, MI)
- Dodge-Main Plant (Hamtramck, MI)
- Hamtramck Assembly Plant (Hamtramck, MI)
- Michigan Steel Tube (Hamtramck, MI)
- Swedish Crucible Company (Hamtramck, MI)
- Detroit Edison Company (Harbor Beach, MI)
- E Harbor Beach Power Station (Harbor Beach, MI)
- Harbor Beach Generating Station (Harbor Beach, MI)
- Harbor Steam Power Station (Harbor Beach, MI)
- Hercules Powder Company (Harbor Beach, MI)
- Hercules, Inc. (Harbor Beach, MI)
- Huron Milling Company (Harbor Beach, MI)
- E.W. Bliss Company (Hastings, MI)
- Hastings Cabinet Company (Hastings, MI)
- Hastings Wool Boot Company (Hastings, MI)
- International Seal and Lock Company (Hastings, MI)
- Stark Engineering (Hastings, MI)
- Thornapple Electric Company (Hastings, MI)
- Chrysler Corporation (Highland Park, MI)
- Chrysler Long Plant (Highland Park, MI)
- Chrysler Motors Corporation (Highland Park, MI)
- Detroit United Railway Company (Highland Park, MI)
- Detroit Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor Railway Company (Highland Park, MI)
- Allied Products (Hillsdale, MI)
- F.W. Stock and Sons (Hillsdale, MI)
- Garwood Industries (Hillsdale, MI)
- Hillsdale Foundry (Hillsdale, MI)
- Dow Medical Products Building (Howell, MI)
- Hoover – Damor Division (Howell, MI)
- Howell Plastics (Howell, MI)
- Master-Cast Company (Howell, MI)
- Capital Wagon Works (Ionia, MI)
- Ionia Wagon Company (Ionia, MI)
- Ahonen Lumber Company (Ironwood, MI)
- Ashland Iron Mining Company (Ironwood, MI)
- Aurora Iron Mining Company (Ironwood, MI)
- Ironwood Products (Ironwood, MI)
- Newport Iron Company (Ironwood, MI)
- Norrie Mine (Ironwood, MI)
- Oliver Iron Mining Company (Ironwood, MI)
- Ap Green Refractories Company (Ishpeming, MI)
- Cleveland Cliffs Iron Company (Ishpeming, MI)
- Cliffs Power & Light Company (Ishpeming, MI)
- Marquette County Gas and Electric Company (Ishpeming, MI)
- Lapeer State Home & Training Center
- Lapeer State Home and Training School
- Bureau of Yards & Docks (Lincoln Park, MI)
- Ford Motor Company (Lincoln Park, MI)
- Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company (Ludington, MI)
- Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Company (Ludington, MI)
- Consumers Power (Ludington, MI)
- Dow Chemical Company (Ludington, MI)
- Harbison Walker Plant (Ludington, MI)
- Ludington Pump Station (Ludington, MI)
- Martin Marietta Plant (Ludington, MI)
- Morton Salt Company (Ludington, MI)
- DuPont (Montague, MI)
- Hooker Company (Montague, MI)
- Mount Pleasant Sugar Company (Mount Pleasant, MI)
- Cleveland Cliffs Iron Company (Negaunee, MI)
- Mass Mine (Negaunee, MI)
- Pioneer Pellett Plant (Negaunee, MI)
- Kimberly Clark Corp (Newberry, MI)
- Michigan Iron Company (Newberry, MI)
- Detroit Warehouse (Oak Park, MI)
- Oak Park Railroad Yard (Oak Par, MI)
- General Telephone Building (Owosso, MI)
- Redmond Company (Owosso, MI)
- Owosso Sugar Company (Owosso, MI)
- Empire Iron Mining (Palmer, MI)
- Associated Spring (Plymouth, MI)
- Burroughs Corp. (Plymouth, MI)
- Plymouth Fertilizer (Plymouth, MI)
- Belle River Plant (Saint Clair, MI)
- St. Clair Power Station (Saint Clair, MI)
- Bator Industries, Inc. (South Haven, MI)
- Bechtel Corporation (South Haven, MI)
- Detroit Edison Company (Stony Creek, MI)
- Power Reactors Development Corp. (Stony Creek, MI)
If you or your loved one are a Michigan resident or were exposed to asbestos in Michigan, and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or another asbestos-related disease, please call (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry on this website to receive a FREE consultation with mesothelioma lawyers at Levy Konigsberg LLP.
ATTENTION: Mesothelioma has no known cure and often causes severe pain, suffering,
and other types of damage, such as loss of consortium, and loss of income.
Additionally, due to the exceedingly high cost of mesothelioma treatments,
many families exhaust savings and accumulate financial debt in order to
pay for the medical expenses of their family member.
Under the law of most states, pain and suffering from mesothelioma may be compensated through the award of money damages, usually obtained with the help of experienced mesothelioma attorneys. In some states other types of damages may also be recovered.
Asbestos litigation affords mesothelioma victims the opportunity to receive financial compensation and hold accountable the companies that caused their asbestos exposure.
IMPORTANT: If you or your family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should get in touch with a mesothelioma lawyer as early as possible to determine if you have a mesothelioma case and to:
- Preserve your rights to bring a legal action against the responsible parties within the limited time frame allowed by law, known as statute of limitations;
Obtain maximum compensation in your case by being able to:
- Preserve evidence and establish facts of the asbestos exposure while the claimant is still alive and able to provide information;
- File and resolve a lawsuit against the responsible parties before they file for bankruptcy or, if they already have, to obtain compensation before their bankruptcy trust funds run out of money;
- Expedite your case, as courts tend to give higher priority to mesothelioma lawsuits where the claimant is still alive.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
NOTE: While our offices are located in the states of New York, New Jersey, and Georgia, many of our mesothelioma lawyers are licensed to practice law in a number of U.S. states and have the capability and extensive experience of representing mesothelioma clients throughout the United States. You are encouraged to contact us with any questions.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale