New York Lead Paint Law
By law, landlords are required to maintain a safe, habitable apartment. If the landlord does not maintain the apartment, ensuring that it’s free from lead-based paint, the landlord may be liable to the infant who becomes poisoned as a result of such negligence.
Under New York law, landlords, who are the owners of buildings containing three or more units, must meet specific requirements regarding lead-based paint. Landlords must repaint all occupied apartments every three years. They must also inspect all apartments for lead-based paint, if the building was built prior to 1960, and if a child under seven is residing in the building.
The law requires that owners of multiple housing units remove, or cover the lead based paint on all interior walls, ceilings, doors, window sills, and moldings where a child six years old or younger resides. If an inspector discovers paint peeling in multiple units built before 1960, the law presumes that the Health Code is in violation.
If parents decide to bring a lawsuit on behalf of an infant – defined in the State of New York as a child under the age of 18 – it’s important that they contact an attorney well versed in lead poisoning cases. Experienced lead poisoning lawyer will obtain all of the relevant documents relating to the history and maintenance of the building, including all inspection records from agencies such as the New York City Department of Health and the New York City Housing and Preservation and Development Department. Experienced attorney will also retain a qualified lead inspector to evaluate the presence of lead-based paint in the apartment itself.
It’s important that a child suspected of being lead poisoned be evaluated by health care professionals who can test for lead in the bloodstream as well as for cognitive and behavioral deficits that may have occurred as a result of the child’s exposure to lead-based paint.
New York State law permits an infant to recover damages for permanent injuries. Damage awards take into account pain, expenses for ongoing medical care, special education, vocational guidance, parental counseling, and future loss of earnings, which are calculated by comparing what the child would have earned, if lead poisoning had not occurred, with the victim’s ability to earn money in light of the exposure to lead-based paint. These damages can easily be calculated in the millions of dollars.
IMPORTANT: If you believe that you or your child has been lead-poisoned, you should speak with an experienced lead poisoning attorney regarding your legal rights. Contact the lead poisoning lawyers at Levy Konigsberg LLP for a free consultation by calling our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry.
LEAD POISONING NEWS
- Federal Court Awards $626 Million to Victims of the Flint Lead Water Crisis
- Levy Konigsberg Sues the City of Jackson on Behalf of 600 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Announces $600 Million Settlement for Victims of Flint Water Crisis
- Michigan Federal Court Rules EPA Must Defend Lawsuit in the Flint Water Crisis
- Lead-Contaminated Dust Poses Major Health Hazard to New York Tenants
- Federal Judge Allows Class Action to Proceed Against Embattled Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Housing Authority
- Lead Poisoning Victim to Sue Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Ninth Circuit Court Demands EPA Issue Updated Rules on Lead Poisoning
- Alexander County Housing Authority Failed to Protect Residents from Lead Poisoning
- Flint Lawyers Take on NYCHA for Lead Paint Violations
- Areas of Portland, Oregon Found With High Levels of Lead in Drinking Water
- One-Third of High Risk Children Untested for Lead Poisoning in California
- Levy Konigsberg Appointed Lead Counsel in Flint Water Litigation
- LK Attorney Comments on Lead Crisis in East Chicago, Indiana
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Legal Ruling in Flint Lead Poisoning Cases
- LK Files Third Wave of Lawsuits in Flint Michigan, Case Filings Now Total 75 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Files Flint Lawsuits for More Than 20 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Lead Poisoning Attorney Attends Flint, Michigan Town Hall
- Levy Konigsberg Attorney Comments on Flint Michigan Water Crisis Involving Lead
- Levy Konigsberg LLP Obtains Two Separate Lead Poisoning Awards in New Jersey
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Know the DifferenceCommitted to Doing What's Right
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Thousands of Clients HelpedHear What They Have to Say
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale
Illinois Attorney General Finds Catholic Church Vastly Underreported Clergy AbuseView Article
- Sexual Abuse
Levy Konigsberg Files 10 Taconic Sex Abuse Claims On Behalf of SurvivorsView Article
- Sexual Abuse
Jerome Block Featured on CNN Investigation into J&J Powder Cancer ClaimsView Article
- Firm News,
- Social Media,
- Asbestos Litigation