Oakland Lead Poisoning
The United States is facing a childhood lead poisoning epidemic in many major cities across the country. The manmade catastrophe that is the Flint Water Crisis has only brought to light just how pervasive the problem is. Many cities, such as Oakland, California, have been found to have childhood lead poisoning rates greater than what was found in Flint and more than three times the national average. In Oakland alone, a recent study showed that 7.75 percent of children aged six years or younger had elevated blood lead levels. For comparison, 5 percent of children in Flint had elevated levels at the height of the crisis, and 2.5 percent of children have it nationwide.
These statistics are alarming, because even a small rise in a child’s blood lead level can cause permanent cognitive damage, reduce IQ, and undermine a child’s ability to reach their true potential. Lead, a heavy metal once used in everything from pipes to paint to gasoline, is a neurotoxin that is especially dangerous to young children. The growing bodies of children six and under absorb lead more quickly than adults do, and lead interrupts the development of their brain during critical stages when a child is building the foundation for skills essential for academic and professional success. A child who is lead poisoned is at a disadvantage both academically and professionally, and will often struggle in work and school just to achieve the bare minimum.
Unlike Flint, lead in Oakland is more commonly found in lead based paint in older housing than in the water. Lead based paint has been banned for residential use across the United States since 1978. However, poorly kept homes built before the ban often have old lead based paint behind layers of newer paint. When those new layers chip, peel, and fall to the floor, it takes the older lead based paint layer with it. These lead based paint chips are often within easy reach of toddlers and other small children, who may accidentally ingest the chips. Young children may also inhale lead based paint dust created by friction surfaces, such as window frames and door jambs.
There are an estimated 85,000 homes in Oakland built before the lead paint ban in 1978. Lead paint continues to exist in those homes that have not been abated. While lead abatement is not expensive, many owners of lower income housing do not want to spend the money to ensure that a home is lead safe for children. That is why childhood lead poisoning disproportionately affects lower income children, who then go on to struggle more than their peers in school and in work.
The lead poisoning attorneys at Levy Konigsberg LLP have decades of experience helping lead poisoned children get the compensation they need and deserve. If your child has been exposed to chipping and peeling lead based paint, our lead poisoning attorneys may be able to help. Contact us today for a free case consultation.
LEAD POISONING NEWS
- Federal Court Awards $626 Million to Victims of the Flint Lead Water Crisis
- Levy Konigsberg Sues the City of Jackson on Behalf of 600 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Announces $600 Million Settlement for Victims of Flint Water Crisis
- Michigan Federal Court Rules EPA Must Defend Lawsuit in the Flint Water Crisis
- Lead-Contaminated Dust Poses Major Health Hazard to New York Tenants
- Federal Judge Allows Class Action to Proceed Against Embattled Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Housing Authority
- Lead Poisoning Victim to Sue Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Ninth Circuit Court Demands EPA Issue Updated Rules on Lead Poisoning
- Alexander County Housing Authority Failed to Protect Residents from Lead Poisoning
- Flint Lawyers Take on NYCHA for Lead Paint Violations
- Areas of Portland, Oregon Found With High Levels of Lead in Drinking Water
- One-Third of High Risk Children Untested for Lead Poisoning in California
- Levy Konigsberg Appointed Lead Counsel in Flint Water Litigation
- LK Attorney Comments on Lead Crisis in East Chicago, Indiana
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Legal Ruling in Flint Lead Poisoning Cases
- LK Files Third Wave of Lawsuits in Flint Michigan, Case Filings Now Total 75 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Files Flint Lawsuits for More Than 20 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Lead Poisoning Attorney Attends Flint, Michigan Town Hall
- Levy Konigsberg Attorney Comments on Flint Michigan Water Crisis Involving Lead
- Levy Konigsberg LLP Obtains Two Separate Lead Poisoning Awards in New Jersey
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Know the DifferenceCommitted to Doing What's Right
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Thousands of Clients HelpedHear What They Have to Say
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale