Pittsburgh Lead Poisoning
The lead poisoning attorneys at Levy Konigsberg LLP are using their decades of experience in lead poisoning litigation to help the residents of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania fight the devastating effects of childhood lead poisoning. Lead is a dangerous toxin that cannot be broken down by the body and disrupts the growth and development of cells. When lead is ingested, it enters the blood stream and is absorbed by the body’s organs and bones, causing serious and lasting harm. Children are particularly vulnerable because their growing bodies absorb lead more quickly than adults, their brains are developing the critical skills needed to learn important skills, and they are more likely to play in areas where lead-based paint chips and dust accumulate. Children that are lead poisoned at a young age will often have trouble succeeding academically and professionally when they get older, and will likely earn significantly less money in a lifetime than their peers who were not lead poisoned.
The most common source of lead exposure is chipping, peeling and flaking lead-based paint in older housing, where landlords and homeowners have not adequately maintained the home. Although lead-based paint was banned nationally for residential use in 1978, many older houses have not been adequately remediated and still contain significant levels of lead-based paint. Pittsburgh is particularly at risk for such hazards due to the average age of its housing stock. According to a 2013 census estimate, 45.5 percent of Allegheny County’s 587,831 housing units were built before 1950. In comparison, the national average is 19 percent.
Despite the greater proportion of older housing and lead hazards, the Allegheny County Department of Health does not require that young children get tested for lead poisoning. Thus, it is unclear just how prevalent childhood lead poisoning really is in the county. In addition, although the CDC defines an elevated blood lead level at 5 mcg/dL, the county will not come out to inspect a home unless a child tests above 15 mcg/dL or greater. Thus, it falls on parents to ensure that their children are tested regularly, and it falls on landlords to ensure that a rental home is lead safe for tenants and their children.
If your child tested for elevated blood lead levels, and your landlord failed to take adequate precautions to protect your child from exposure, you may be entitled to compensation. A child growing up with the effects of lead poisoning will often need extra help and resources for them to overcome the challenges they face. The experienced lead poisoning attorneys can help your child get the financial resources he or she needs to succeed. Don’t wait – there are time deadlines that apply to filing personal injury claims. Get in touch with our experienced and compassionate attorneys today by filling out the form on this website or calling (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry.
LEAD POISONING NEWS
- Federal Court Awards $626 Million to Victims of the Flint Lead Water Crisis
- Levy Konigsberg Sues the City of Jackson on Behalf of 600 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Announces $600 Million Settlement for Victims of Flint Water Crisis
- Michigan Federal Court Rules EPA Must Defend Lawsuit in the Flint Water Crisis
- Lead-Contaminated Dust Poses Major Health Hazard to New York Tenants
- Federal Judge Allows Class Action to Proceed Against Embattled Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Housing Authority
- Lead Poisoning Victim to Sue Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Ninth Circuit Court Demands EPA Issue Updated Rules on Lead Poisoning
- Alexander County Housing Authority Failed to Protect Residents from Lead Poisoning
- Flint Lawyers Take on NYCHA for Lead Paint Violations
- Areas of Portland, Oregon Found With High Levels of Lead in Drinking Water
- One-Third of High Risk Children Untested for Lead Poisoning in California
- Levy Konigsberg Appointed Lead Counsel in Flint Water Litigation
- LK Attorney Comments on Lead Crisis in East Chicago, Indiana
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Legal Ruling in Flint Lead Poisoning Cases
- LK Files Third Wave of Lawsuits in Flint Michigan, Case Filings Now Total 75 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Files Flint Lawsuits for More Than 20 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Lead Poisoning Attorney Attends Flint, Michigan Town Hall
- Levy Konigsberg Attorney Comments on Flint Michigan Water Crisis Involving Lead
- Levy Konigsberg LLP Obtains Two Separate Lead Poisoning Awards in New Jersey
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale