Providence, Rhode Island Lead Poisoning
The lead poisoning attorneys at Levy Konigsberg LLP are bringing their decades of experience to help the residents of Providence, Rhode Island, fight the childhood lead poisoning epidemic in their city. Lead is a toxic metal that has been used throughout history in a variety of consumer goods. When lead is ingested, it enters the bloodstream and interferes with the body’s production of hemoglobin, causing anemia. The blood carries the lead throughout the body, inhibiting the liver’s ability to produce proteins, damaging kidneys, and interrupting the development of the brain, causing long term and latent cognitive deficits. Lead cannot be broken down, and often ends up being stored in growing bones, only to be released years later and causing further damage.
Lead is especially hazardous to young children under the age of six. Their growing bodies absorb lead more quickly than adults do, and their brains are developing the circuits needed to learn critical skills for success as an adult. That is why it is essential to prevent a child from being exposed to lead in the first place.
Most children are exposed to lead from old lead based paint in older housing. Lead based paint was banned for residential use throughout the United States in 1978, but layers continue to exist in homes where it has not been removed. As paint deteriorates, the older layers come off in flakes with the newer layers and pose a hazard to young children crawling and playing on the floor. Friction surfaces such as windows and door jambs create lead based paint dust, which mixes with ordinary household dust and can easily get on the hands of young children.
Because lead exists in perpetuity, any layer of lead based paint will remain a hazard unless and until it is safely removed by an EPA certified remediation team. Landlords have a responsibility to ensure that a home is lead safe for their tenants and children. However, landlords in poorer areas often choose to simply paint over any hazards, rather than spend the money required to remove the lead based paint outright. As a result, nearly 30,000 homes in Rhode Island continue to pose a high risk for children today. In Providence alone, 12.74% of children tested for elevated blood lead levels above 5 mcg/dL.
If you or your child has been exposed to peeling, flaking, or chipping lead based paint, it is important to get a blood lead test as soon as possible. An elevated blood lead level can indicate that a child has been seriously and permanently harmed, and may entitle you to compensation. The experienced lead poisoning attorneys at Levy Konigsberg LLP have won over $100 million in verdicts and settlements on behalf of lead poisoned children over 30 years. Contact one of our experienced attorneys today to see if you have a case.
LEAD POISONING NEWS
- Federal Court Awards $626 Million to Victims of the Flint Lead Water Crisis
- Levy Konigsberg Sues the City of Jackson on Behalf of 600 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Announces $600 Million Settlement for Victims of Flint Water Crisis
- Michigan Federal Court Rules EPA Must Defend Lawsuit in the Flint Water Crisis
- Lead-Contaminated Dust Poses Major Health Hazard to New York Tenants
- Federal Judge Allows Class Action to Proceed Against Embattled Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Housing Authority
- Lead Poisoning Victim to Sue Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Ninth Circuit Court Demands EPA Issue Updated Rules on Lead Poisoning
- Alexander County Housing Authority Failed to Protect Residents from Lead Poisoning
- Flint Lawyers Take on NYCHA for Lead Paint Violations
- Areas of Portland, Oregon Found With High Levels of Lead in Drinking Water
- One-Third of High Risk Children Untested for Lead Poisoning in California
- Levy Konigsberg Appointed Lead Counsel in Flint Water Litigation
- LK Attorney Comments on Lead Crisis in East Chicago, Indiana
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Legal Ruling in Flint Lead Poisoning Cases
- LK Files Third Wave of Lawsuits in Flint Michigan, Case Filings Now Total 75 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Files Flint Lawsuits for More Than 20 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Lead Poisoning Attorney Attends Flint, Michigan Town Hall
- Levy Konigsberg Attorney Comments on Flint Michigan Water Crisis Involving Lead
- Levy Konigsberg LLP Obtains Two Separate Lead Poisoning Awards in New Jersey
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
They truly made a difference in our lives!- Jonathan McNulty
Outstanding law firm!- R.M.
No need to look any further.- Todd Allen
They were the clear choice!- Bruce Totterdale
Forever grateful!- Diane Hoefer
The best and brightest!- Paulette
Simply incredible!- IBS LMM
Knowledgeable guidance and representation.- Steven Simon
They are good people who want to help you.- Edwin Jimenez
They won us a lot of money.- Karen