Seattle Sexual Abuse Lawyers
Nationally Recognized Sexual Abuse Litigation Team
Levy Konigsberg is a national civil trial practice with a legacy of litigating high-stakes sexual abuse claims. With an office in Seattle (Fifth Avenue), our sexual abuse team proudly fights for survivors across King County and the state of Washington.
If you or someone you love were sexually abused – whether as a minor or an adult – our Seattle sexual abuse attorneys have the experience and resources to help you fight for justice. We support survivors in litigation against both abusers and the institutions that failed to protect them.
Have questions about a sexual abuse lawsuit in Seattle or the state of Washington? Call (800) 315-3806 or contact us online for a FREE and confidential consultation.
Fighting for Survivors in a Range of Sex Abuse Cases
With an active sexual abuse litigation practice, Levy Konigsberg is equipped with the insight to advocate for survivors whose abuse occurred within a variety of situations and at various types of institutions or entities. Our work includes:
- Sex Abuse in Catholic Church
- Sexual Abuse in Colleges and Universities
- Sexual Abuse of Children in Religious Organization
- Sexual Abuse in Residential Care Group Homes and Foster Care Homes
- Sexual Abuse involving Rideshare Services (Lyft & Uber)
- Sexual Abuse in Hotels and The Hospitality Industry
- Sexual Abuse by Law Enforcement
- Sexual Abuse in Spas and Massage Parlors
- Sexual Abuse in the Entertainment Industry
- Sexual Abuse in Summer / Day Camps and Day Care / Preschools
Understanding Civil Sexual Abuse Lawsuits
Sexual abuse survivors face lifetimes of physical and emotional challenges, which is why our Seattle sex abuse lawyers are committed to helping survivors and their families in the fight for justice.
Here are some key points help you better understand our work and the laws pertaining to sexual abuse lawsuits:
- Civil lawsuits. Our firm represents survivors in civil sexual abuse lawsuits. As civil claims, these matters are separate from any criminal actions brought against abusers and focus solely on liability for damages suffered by victims. This means that civil sexual abuse lawsuits can be brought (and won) regardless of what happens in a related criminal case.
- Holding institutions accountable. Civil sexual abuse lawsuits are typically brought against institutions and entities that failed to protect victims. Entities like camps, school districts, and religious orders have legal responsibilities to protect their members and students, and they can be held accountable when they fail to meet those duties, whether by failing to properly vet or supervise employees, properly investigate suspected abuse, or appropriately respond to complaints. Unfortunately, powerful institutions know sexual abuse claims threaten their reputations and their bottom lines, which is why they work aggressively to deny and defend against them. As advocates, we work to help survivors level the playing field.
- Compensation for survivors. Civil sexual abuse lawsuits are powerful tools for holding at-fault institutions accountable, and they can accomplish a great deal in compelling institutions and others like them to adopt policies that better prevent abuse from happening to others in the future. Additionally, they offer survivors an opportunity to recover their damages, which can include pain and suffering, medical and mental health expenses, and other emotional injuries. Our firm works diligently to help survivors recover the maximum compensation possible.
Sexual Abuse Lawsuit Statute of Limitations in Washington
Survivors of sexual abuse have a limited amount to file civil claims over their abuse. Generally, the statute of limitations (or legal deadline) for most civil injury claims in Washington is three years from the date of the underlying injury / event.
While there is a three-year statute of limitations on most types of civil injury claims, there are exceptions in cases involving sexual abuse. That’s because these cases may involve unique circumstances and because our laws have begun to recognize that there are many factors which may keep survivors silent. Some of these factors include:
- Minor victims. Children under the age of 18 may have longer than the typical three years to initiate civil claims.
- Delayed discovery. In some cases, the statute of limitations may not begin (or “toll”) until the time that survivors discover the connection between their abuse and resulting harms, including depression, intimacy issues, and other mental health issues. Delayed discovery is common among abuse survivors, as memories may be blocked, repressed, or otherwise forgotten.
Because there are nuances in sexual abuse cases that can significantly affect the statute of limitations for claims, our attorneys are available to speak with you about your situation and discuss issues related to filing deadlines. To mitigate potential problems with the statute of limitations, we encourage survivors to contact our team as soon as possible.
Legal Update: Washington state lawmakers have introduced a measure that would eliminate the statute of limitations for child sexual abuse lawsuits. The measure, House Bill 1618, passed by a wide margin in the Washington State House of Representatives in early 2023, but failed the final steps to be enacted into law. However, the proposed law is expected to be re-introduced and be passed into law in the future. If passed, this new law would also likely revive older claims which had previously expired, thus providing renewed opportunities for survivors to take legal action over abuses that occurred years or decades ago.
Our firm will continue to track HB 1618 and its impact on Washington state sexual abuse claims. If you have questions about the law and how it may impact your case, please contact us.
Leaders in Fighting for Sex Abuse Survivors
Levy Konigsberg is a U.S. News “Best Law Firms” ranked trial practice that maintains a special focus on litigating sexual abuse lawsuits.
With offices in Seattle and other states across the country, we’ve earned national recognition helping survivors fight for justice in high-stakes cases and have secured millions of dollars in compensation for clients. We have what it takes to take on powerful institutions and
Some examples of our recent and notable sex abuse litigation:
- Our firm represents a growing number of women who were sexually abused by guards at jails and prisons in New York and California, where new laws have opened the door for survivors abused years ago to seek justice. We’ve filed numerous claims on behalf of former female inmates since November 2023 and were profiled in a NY Daily News cover story.
- Our team has represented survivors who were sexually abused by physicians and medical professionals at various hospitals and medical programs across the state. This includes victims of Reginald D. Archibald, Dr. Darius Paduch, and others.
- We have litigated high-stakes sex abuse claims over abuse that occurred within some of the country’s most powerful institutions, including the Catholic Church, Boy Scouts of America, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and more.
Call (800) 315-3806 For a FREE Consultation
Our Seattle sexual abuse lawyers at Levy Konigsberg actively represent survivors in civil sex abuse actions across the state of Washington and the U.S. We offer FREE and confidential consultations and work cases on contingency, which means it costs nothing to hire our team and that you don’t pay if we don’t win.
To discuss a potential sex abuse lawsuit and how Levy Konigsberg can help, call (800) 315-3806 or contact us online.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale