The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Whistleblowers
What does the SEC Whistleblower Program have to do with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act?
If you have evidence of foreign bribery or accounting violations, you could be eligible for a reward under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) provision of the Securities and Exchange Commission’s (“SEC”) Whistleblower Program. The Dodd-Frank Act breathed new life into the FCPA by offering whistleblowers up to 30% of the recoveries for submitting complaints to the SEC of FCPA violations.
What is a FCPA Violation?
A FCPA violation is a violation of either the anti-bribery provisions or the accounting practices provisions of the FCPA. Specifically, the FCPA prohibits any United States individual or business, foreign business that trades on a United States stock exchange, or certain other foreign businesses or persons from bribing a foreign official to obtain business in the foreign country. Further, the FCPA requires accurate accounting records.
What is a Foreign Official?
A foreign official is an individual who works as an officer or employee of a government department or an employee of a government run company.
What are some real life examples of FCPA Violations?
Major companies around the world have paid hundreds of millions of dollars to settle FCPA violations including:
- Siemens AG ($800 million for bribing foreign officials in Venezuela, Israel, Mexico, Bangladesh, Argentina, Vietnam, China, and Russia to obtain business and for inadequate internal accounting controls);
- Alstom SA ($772 million for bribing foreign officials all across the world in order to obtain billions of dollars in projects and for inadequate internal accounting controls);
- KBR/Halliburton ($579 million for bribing Nigerian government officials to gain construction contracts and for false accounting records and inadequate internal accounting controls).
What can I do to stop the violations of the FCPA?
If you have knowledge and proof of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations, then give us a call today for a free consultation and case review with an experienced whistleblower attorney.
This information is for educational purposes. It is not offered as and does not constitute legal advice or legal opinions. You should not act or rely upon this information without seeking the advice of an attorney.
- 2017 False Claims Act Year in Review: Government Recovers $3.7 Billion
- Do You Work For A Motor Vehicle Manufacturer, Supplier, Or Dealership And Came Across Safety Violations Your Employer Is Trying To Keep Hidden? Don’t Let Them Get Away With It, Call Now!
- 2016 False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect $519 Million
- New Study Confirms Importance of Whistleblowers in Preventing Corporate Fraud
- Where was the Wells Fargo Whistleblower? Part II.
- Fiscal Year 2016 Record Year for SEC Whistleblowers - $57 Million Awarded to Whistleblowers!
- SEC Investigating Wells Fargo Fraudulent Practices
- Whistleblower First! SEC Rewards Whistleblower $3.75 Million For Reporting Violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Did Your Employer Actually Qualify For That Government Set-Aside It Received? Did Your Competition Win A Contract It Didn’t Deserve?
- Hiding Wealth Offshore To Avoid Paying Taxes Is Illegal And IRS Will Reward Those Who Blow The Whistle On Anyone That Tries
- Aware of Banks and Mortgage Lenders Defrauding the Government Through FHA or VA Insured Loans? Don’t “Short” The Market, Contact Us!
- U.S. Education Department Creates New Unit to Investigate Student Aid Fraud
- The False Claims Act Year in Review: Whistleblowers Collect a Record $597 Million
- False Claims Act Update: Top Recoveries & Enforcement Trends from 2014
- Whistleblower Attorneys Recover $1M in Medicare Fraud Case
- Qui Tam Attorney Discusses the DOE’s Final Gainful Employment Rules
- Career Education Corporation Agrees to $10.5 Million Settlement Over Inflated Employment Rates
- Pharmaceutical Company to Pay $40.1 M to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Qui Tam Lawsuit Involving Healthcare Fraud Intervened by US Government
- Medicare Fraud Responsible for $23 Million Paid to the Dead in 2011?
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
They truly made a difference in our lives!- Jonathan McNulty
Outstanding law firm!- R.M.
No need to look any further.- Todd Allen
They were the clear choice!- Bruce Totterdale
Forever grateful!- Diane Hoefer
The best and brightest!- Paulette
Simply incredible!- IBS LMM
Knowledgeable guidance and representation.- Steven Simon
They are good people who want to help you.- Edwin Jimenez
They won us a lot of money.- Karen