Seattle Archdiocese Sexual Abuse Lawsuits
Standing Up for Sex Abuse Survivors in Washington
Legal action has been taken against the Archdiocese of Seattle on behalf of people who were sexually abused by members of the church, including some cases that involved sexual abuse from decades past. If you were sexually abused by a clergy member, administrator, volunteer, or anyone else associated with the Seattle Archdiocese, Levy Konigsberg is here to help you understand your rights and use your voice. We know how difficult it is to speak up against an abuser, even when the last attack happened many years ago. That’s why we have a trauma-informed team of legal professionals who are ready to help you, starting with a case evaluation that is entirely free and 100% confidential.
Why should you trust your Seattle Archdiocese sex abuse lawsuit to Levy Konigsberg?
- We have handled sexual abuse lawsuits against religious institutions, including those against the Catholic Church.
- We have secured millions of dollars for sexual abuse clients, and more than $3 billion for all clients.
- We stay up to date on important sexual abuse litigation and legislation, like Washington State’s HB 1618.
- We have the resources and experience to help clients nationwide with sex abuse claims and lawsuits.
Find out more about Levy Konigsberg and your legal options. Call our Seattle Archdiocese sexual abuse lawsuit attorneys at (800) 315-3806 as soon as you are ready.
What is the Seattle Archdiocese?
The Seattle Archdiocese – officially the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Seattle and formerly the Diocese of Nesqually – has parishes throughout Western Washington. As an archdiocese, it is under the jurisdiction of an archbishop, who is currently Archbishop Paul D. Etienne. Its official seat is not located in a church or cathedral, but instead an office in Downtown Seattle.
History of Seattle Archdiocese Sexual Abuse
Sexual abuse allegations have surrounded the Seattle Archdiocese for decades. However, the most prominent lawsuits against the Seattle Archdiocese have only formed in recent years. The right time is now to explore your legal options if you were sexually abused by a member of this religious group.
A partial history of sexual abuse cases and allegations involving the Seattle Archdiocese includes:
- July 2012: A King County Superior Court jury awarded $6.4 million to a man who was sexually abused as a child. He dropped out of high school, enlisted at 17, and served two tours in Vietnam, all to try to get away from his abusers.
- January 2016: The Seattle Archdiocese published a list of 77 known clergy members and others associated with the church who had sexually assaulted children or had been credibly accused of doing so. An apology was issued by the then-Archbishop alongside the list.
- 2016: It is concluded that the Seattle Archdiocese has paid nearly $75 million in settlements for nearly 400 sexual abuse of minors claims and lawsuits since the late 1980s.
- 2018: A sexual abuse lawsuit brought by six men is settled for nearly $7 million. The plaintiffs were sexually abused by priests decades ago when they were young children. Investigations for the case uncover that the church knew one of the offenders was sexually abusing children as far back as the late ‘50s.
- 2021: The Seattle Archdiocese agrees to pay a Washington woman $725,000 to resolve her lawsuit, which alleged she was repeatedly sexually abused by an unidentified employee for more than 40 years. The first sexual assault occurred when she was only 8 years old.
- 2022: A $2.3 million settlement is reached to settle five claims from people who alleged that they were sexually abused in the ‘50s, ‘70s, and ‘80s. In three of the cases, the offenders passed away before the lawsuits were filed. The late Father John Cornelius at St. Mary and St. Therese parishes had more than 20 complaints of sexual abuse filed against him before he was officially laicized in 2004.
New Washington Law for Sexual Abuse Survivors
House Bill 1618 could soon pass the Washington Senate and be signed into law. If it does, it will eliminate the statute of limitations for sexual abuse lawsuits filed by people who were sexually abused as children. The law recognizes that many people do not feel comfortable speaking up about sexual abuse for many years, so the current statute of limitations unfairly prevents them from ever seeking civil action. If HB 1618 is passed and signed into law, it would allow many more people to start claims against the Seattle Archdiocese that otherwise would have been blocked.
Call Today to Speak with a Trusted Law Firm
Levy Konigsberg and our sexual abuse lawsuit team and Washington co-counsel are standing by to help if you were sexually abused by a member of the Seattle Archdiocese. You should reach out to our trusted group of experienced sex abuse attorneys, even if the abuse occurred many years or decades ago. The time is now to seek justice, financial compensation and accountability against church leaders who perpetrated sex crimes as well as the Seattle Archdiocese who enabled and covered-up widespread sexual abuse.
701 Fifth Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
Submit an email inquiry or call (800) 315-3806 to schedule a free case evaluation.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale