South Carolina Mesothelioma FAQs
Mesothelioma is a deadly type of cancer caused by harmful exposure to asbestos. Our firm is dedicated to protecting the rights of asbestos exposure victims and their families in South Carolina. Below are answers to some commonly asked questions about mesothelioma.
How Have People in South Carolina Been Exposed to Asbestos?
Many South Carolina people have been exposed to asbestos in the workplace. Among many other sources, the following have been notorious for exposing workers to asbestos:
- Textile mills: In the early 1980s, South Carolina was the textile center of the world. Thousands of workers were employed in textile mills throughout the state. Because of its fire-resistant and strengthening properties, textile manufacturers incorporated asbestos into many fireproof products, such as gloves, aprons, and jackets. Textile workers were exposed to asbestos when it was converted into yarn and finished products.
- Shipyards: Workers at the Charleston Naval Shipyard were exposed to asbestos during building, repair, and overhaul of vessels. On ships, it was used for insulating incinerators, boilers, hot water pipes, and steam pipes to prevent fires. Cramped, poorly ventilated workspaces resulted in high levels of exposure to asbestos dust.
- Power plants: South Carolina power plants include Lockhart Power, Duke Energy, South Carolina Electric and Gas Company, and Carolina Power and Light Company. Asbestos has been used in high-temperature equipment, such as boilers, furnaces, ovens, cooling towers, and turbines. Many people were exposed to high levels of asbestos during power plant outages, when workers would repair or replace large equipment.
- Manufacturing: Industry in South Carolina between the 1930s and the 1980s included manufacturers of construction materials, industrial chemicals, petroleum products, automotive accessories, turbines, boilers, foundry materials, paper, and consumer products. Workers employed by these manufacturers routinely worked with and around products containing asbestos.
What Is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death occurs when someone dies because of the negligence or wrongdoing of another. A wrongful death claim is a legal action that allows surviving family members of a wrongful death victim to seek justice for their deceased loved one and recover compensation for their family. When a person dies from mesothelioma, survivors may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim against the parties responsible for exposing their loved one to asbestos. Damages that may be claimed in a wrongful death case may include:
- Final medical expenses of the deceased person
- Expected loss of income of the deceased person
- Expected loss of protection, care, services, and assistance that the deceased person provided to survivors
- Sorrow, mental anguish, loss of comfort, guidance, and companionship
How Much Will It Hurt a Former Employer to Sue for Asbestos Exposure?
If you were exposed to asbestos and know the responsible parties, you may not want to cause them financial harm. The truth is that most employers, contractors, property owners, and manufacturers purchase insurance policies to protect them from liability. Damages you are awarded for your injuries are not likely to come directly out of the responsible party’s pocket.
What If You Do Not Know How You Were Exposed to Asbestos?
The only known cause of mesothelioma is asbestos exposure. Some people who develop mesothelioma do not know where, when, or how exposure to asbestos occurred. Many products containing asbestos had no warning labels. An investigation into a victim’s background and work history can uncover asbestos exposures that were previously unknown.
How Can You Afford the Cost of Filing a Mesothelioma Claim?
At Levy Konigsberg, we handle mesothelioma claims on a contingency fee basis. This means you pay us no fees until we recover compensation for you. If you or your loved one has developed mesothelioma, call us as soon as possible at (800) 315-3806.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale