Toledo Lead Poisoning
The lead poisoning law firm of Levy Konigsberg LLP is helping the people of Toledo, Ohio fight against childhood lead poisoning. According to the Ohio Department of Health, an estimated 19,000 children in the state are suffering from lead poisoning, with nearly half in its six largest counties, including Lucas County. The Department of Health defines lead poisoning as a confirmed blood-lead level of five micrograms per deciliter (5 mcg/dL) or greater. Childhood lead poisoning causes irreversible damage to a child’s cognitive development. Even a low blood-lead level has been shown to cause permanent cognitive and behavioral problems. That is why it is so important to prevent lead exposure in the first place.
Children in Toledo are most often exposed to lead from chipping, peeling, or deteriorating lead-based paint. Lead-based paint was banned for residential use throughout the United States in 1978. However, many houses built before then still contain lead-based paint under layers of newer paint. When those newer layers chip or peel, they take the older, leaded levels with them and fall to the floor where young children play. In addition, friction surfaces, such as window frames and door jambs, can create lead-based paint dust which spreads around the house. The dust and chips are often ingested by young children, causing lead poisoning.
The City of Toledo has passed Ordinance 226-16 putting in place a more proactive lead poisoning prevention strategy. Ordinance 226-16 requires that landlords of certain properties built before the national lead-paint ban certify a home to be “Lead-Safe” before renting to a family. A Lead-Safe Certificate is only issued after a visual inspection is done of the premises to ensure there is no defective or peeling paint, and a dust wipe sample is taken to ensure there is no lead-based paint dust. The certificate is valid for three years, and the premises must be re-inspected for the certificate to be reissued.
However, a landlord is still ultimately responsible for the safety of his or her rental units. If a child living in a rented apartment tests positive for an elevated blood-lead level, the landlord must immediately take steps to remediate the lead hazard in the housing unit, and may be liable for any harm that comes to the child. If you notice chipping or peeling paint in your rented home, it is important to tell your landlord as soon as possible, and get your child tested for lead poisoning. If your child has any detectable blood-lead level, follow-up tests may be necessary to ensure he or she is no longer being harmed. You can also contact your local department of health and request a lead inspection of your home.
Finally, if your child has been lead poisoned, an experienced lead poisoning attorney can help her get the compensation she needs and deserves to overcome the permanent and devastating harm caused by lead. The lead poisoning attorneys at Levy Konigsberg LLP have decades of experience and won over $100 million in verdicts and settlements on behalf of lead poisoned children. Contact the lead poisoning law firm for a free consultation today.
LEAD POISONING NEWS
- Federal Court Awards $626 Million to Victims of the Flint Lead Water Crisis
- Levy Konigsberg Sues the City of Jackson on Behalf of 600 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Announces $600 Million Settlement for Victims of Flint Water Crisis
- Michigan Federal Court Rules EPA Must Defend Lawsuit in the Flint Water Crisis
- Lead-Contaminated Dust Poses Major Health Hazard to New York Tenants
- Federal Judge Allows Class Action to Proceed Against Embattled Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Housing Authority
- Lead Poisoning Victim to Sue Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Ninth Circuit Court Demands EPA Issue Updated Rules on Lead Poisoning
- Alexander County Housing Authority Failed to Protect Residents from Lead Poisoning
- Flint Lawyers Take on NYCHA for Lead Paint Violations
- Areas of Portland, Oregon Found With High Levels of Lead in Drinking Water
- One-Third of High Risk Children Untested for Lead Poisoning in California
- Levy Konigsberg Appointed Lead Counsel in Flint Water Litigation
- LK Attorney Comments on Lead Crisis in East Chicago, Indiana
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Legal Ruling in Flint Lead Poisoning Cases
- LK Files Third Wave of Lawsuits in Flint Michigan, Case Filings Now Total 75 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Files Flint Lawsuits for More Than 20 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Lead Poisoning Attorney Attends Flint, Michigan Town Hall
- Levy Konigsberg Attorney Comments on Flint Michigan Water Crisis Involving Lead
- Levy Konigsberg LLP Obtains Two Separate Lead Poisoning Awards in New Jersey
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
They truly made a difference in our lives!- Jonathan McNulty
Outstanding law firm!- R.M.
No need to look any further.- Todd Allen
They were the clear choice!- Bruce Totterdale
Forever grateful!- Diane Hoefer
The best and brightest!- Paulette
Simply incredible!- IBS LMM
Knowledgeable guidance and representation.- Steven Simon
They are good people who want to help you.- Edwin Jimenez
They won us a lot of money.- Karen