Washington D.C. Lead Poisoning
One of the most dangerous neurotoxins in the world is lead. When ingested by a child, lead poisons the brain and causes permanent damage, because the brains of children under the age of six are still forming. Children that suffer from lead poisoning are exponentially more likely to be held back in school one or more times; they are far less likely to graduate from high school; they are far less able to perform in a working environment at or above a high-school level; and they are far more likely to struggle finding employment throughout their lives.
The effects of lead poisoning are permanent.
The two most common sources for childhood lead poisoning in Washington D.C. are water and lead-based paint. The average water pipe in Washington D.C. is seventy-nine years old, and half of all water pipes in the District are past their useful life. As of 2015, 33% of children in Washington D.C. below the age of six lived in poverty, in areas where buildings that were built before 1978 remain un-renovated and poorly kept.
Beginning in 2010, Washington D.C. began toughening lead-paint rules and disclosure requirements for home sellers and landlords. Contractors who renovate more than two square feet of painted surfaces built before 1978 must be certified as lead-safe under Environmental Protection Agency guidelines. While under federal law, a disclosure regarding lead must only state what is known to a property owner, in Washington D.C., owners must also disclose what is reasonable for them to know about the presence of lead. Washington D.C.’s definition of a lead-based paint hazard is also stricter than the federal definition. Under the D.C. law, the definition includes “presumed lead-based paint.” Thus, is an owner is aware of peeling paint in his pre-1978 residential property, that paint “is presumed by District law to be lead paint, and because the paint is in deteriorated condition, it is a lead-based paint hazard” and must be listed that was on the D.C. Lead Disclosure Form.
The lawyers at Levy Konigsberg, considered nationally as leaders in lead poisoning litigation and celebrated advocates for lead-poisoned children and their families, have recovered more than 100 Million Dollars on behalf of lead poisoned kids for their diminished earning capacities, pain and suffering and medical monitoring.
If you believe that your child or another member of your family has been lead poisoned in Washington, D.C., you should contact an experienced lead poisoning advocate regarding your legal rights. Contact the lead poisoning attorneys at Levy Konigsberg, LLP for a free consultation by calling our 24 hour, toll free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry.
LEAD POISONING NEWS
- Federal Court Awards $626 Million to Victims of the Flint Lead Water Crisis
- Levy Konigsberg Sues the City of Jackson on Behalf of 600 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Announces $600 Million Settlement for Victims of Flint Water Crisis
- Michigan Federal Court Rules EPA Must Defend Lawsuit in the Flint Water Crisis
- Lead-Contaminated Dust Poses Major Health Hazard to New York Tenants
- Federal Judge Allows Class Action to Proceed Against Embattled Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Housing Authority
- Lead Poisoning Victim to Sue Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Ninth Circuit Court Demands EPA Issue Updated Rules on Lead Poisoning
- Alexander County Housing Authority Failed to Protect Residents from Lead Poisoning
- Flint Lawyers Take on NYCHA for Lead Paint Violations
- Areas of Portland, Oregon Found With High Levels of Lead in Drinking Water
- One-Third of High Risk Children Untested for Lead Poisoning in California
- Levy Konigsberg Appointed Lead Counsel in Flint Water Litigation
- LK Attorney Comments on Lead Crisis in East Chicago, Indiana
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Legal Ruling in Flint Lead Poisoning Cases
- LK Files Third Wave of Lawsuits in Flint Michigan, Case Filings Now Total 75 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Files Flint Lawsuits for More Than 20 Lead-Poisoned Children
- Levy Konigsberg Lead Poisoning Attorney Attends Flint, Michigan Town Hall
- Levy Konigsberg Attorney Comments on Flint Michigan Water Crisis Involving Lead
- Levy Konigsberg LLP Obtains Two Separate Lead Poisoning Awards in New Jersey
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Know the DifferenceCommitted to Doing What's Right
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Thousands of Clients HelpedHear What They Have to Say
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale