Mesothelioma, short for diffuse malignant mesothelioma, is a type of cancer that ravages the linings of vital organs and regions in the body. The word “diffuse” refers to the spread-out quality of mesothelioma which presents as “sheets” of malignant cells.
Types of Mesothelioma
Two main types of mesothelioma are most common:
Pleural mesothelioma attacks the lining of the lungs, called the pleura. The pleura facilitate inhaling and exhaling. Pleural mesothelioma is caused by inhaled asbestos fibers that move outside the lung. It impairs the ability to breathe normally and can eventually completely disable one or both lungs. Pleural mesothelioma accounts for about 75%of all mesothelioma cases in the United States.
Peritoneal mesothelioma destroys the peritoneum, the lining of the abdominal cavity. It is caused by asbestos fibers that are inhaled and then migrate to the peritoneum, which supports and aids the functioning of the abdominal organs. Peritoneal mesothelioma is characterized by excessive buildup of fluid in the abdomen and by tumors that spread out in sheets. It accounts for about 20 percent of all mesothelioma cases.
Less frequently, mesothelioma can develop in other locations including the lining of the heart, or pericardium (pericardial mesothelioma), and in the lining of the ovaries (ovarian mesothelioma) and scrotum (scrotal mesothelioma).
Cause of Mesothelioma
While mesothelioma is a rare type of cancer in the general population, it occurs frequently in people who have been exposed to asbestos in the workplace or through workplace fibers that have been brought into the home or from asbestos-containing products used in a home setting. In fact, in the United States, asbestos is the only confirmed cause of mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma began to be identified among asbestos workers and associated with asbestos exposure in the workplace in the 1940s. By this time, there were large volumes of information establishing that asbestos caused scarring in the lungs known as “asbestosis” and information already linking asbestos to lung cancer. Epidemiology studies conducted in the 1960s definitively established asbestos as the cause of mesothelioma.
Length of development
Mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases usually develop years after an initial exposure to asbestos. Indeed, the latency period can range from 10 to more than 50 years before mesothelioma clinical symptoms can be seen. For this reason, people diagnosed with mesothelioma are often shocked to learn that a short-term asbestos exposure that took place years ago is the source of their present-day cancer.
More than 3,000 new cases of mesothelioma are diagnosed each year in the United States. In contrast, approximately 160,000 people are diagnosed with lung cancer each year in this country.
Mesothelioma Treatment & Cure
Unfortunately most traditional treatments for cancer are less effective in treating mesothelioma. Traditional mesothelioma treatments and experimental ones may work to slow the effects of the cancer, but there is no known cure at this time. When answering the question: “What is Mesothelioma?” most doctors will tell you that the disease is caused by asbestos and there is no known cure. However, mesothelioma doctors are able to use traditional mesothelioma treatments and may suggest enrollment in mesothelioma clinical trials. Traditionally, treatment for the disease involved segregation of the sheets of diseased cells, but new mesothelioma treatments are centered on less obtrusive methods.
According to the legal definition of mesothelioma, it is a terminal, but yet preventable disease caused by asbestos and by corporations that failed to warn of the dangers of asbestos. Had workers been warned about the hazards of asbestos, by the companies that manufactured asbestos products, then workers could have taken steps to protect themselves from such risks.
IMPORTANT: If you or your family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should get in touch with a mesothelioma lawyer as early as possible to determine if you have a mesothelioma case and to:
- Preserve your rights to bring a legal action against the responsible parties within the limited time frame allowed by law, known as statute of limitations;
Obtain maximum compensation in your case by being able to:
- Preserve evidence and establish facts of the asbestos exposure while the claimant is still alive and able to provide information;
- File and resolve a lawsuit against the responsible parties before they file for bankruptcy or, if they already have, to obtain compensation before their bankruptcy trust funds run out of money;
- Expedite your case, as courts tend to give higher priority to mesothelioma lawsuits where the claimant is still alive.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline at (800) 315-3806 or submit an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
NOTE: We have offices located in New York, New Jersey, California, Georgia, Washington, and Maryland. Many of our mesothelioma lawyers are licensed to practice law in a number of U.S. states and have the capability and extensive experience of representing mesothelioma clients throughout the United States. You are encouraged to contact us with any questions.
- New Jersey Mesothelioma Lawyer Helps Obtain Ruling on Equipment Liability
- Levy Konigsberg Teams With Mesothelioma Clients to Help Get Talc Out Of Baby Powder
- J&J Removes Talc from Baby Powder - How Does This Affect the Mesothelioma Lawsuits?
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Landmark Appeal in Asbestos-Containing Talcum Powder Case
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $750 million Baby Powder Punitive Damages Verdict Against J&J
- Levy Konigsberg Co-Counsel In $37 million Baby Powder Verdict Against J&J
- LK Wins $325 Million Mesothelioma Verdict Against Johnson & Johnson for Asbestos in Baby Powder (This case is currently awaiting final review on appeal)
- Boston Jury Awards $43.1 Million Verdict in Cigarette Smoking-Asbestos Exposure Lung Cancer Trial
- LK's Historic $117 Million Verdict in Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder Mesothelioma Trial
- LK Wins Ruling Allowing Mesothelioma Ship Worker’s Case To Proceed in New York
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Ruling in Mesothelioma & Asbestos Brake Case
- LK Mesothelioma Department - Highlights and Lessons Learned in 2017
- A Letter of Gratitude To Our Dear Veterans
- LK Wins $16.5 Million Verdict In New York’s First Cosmetic Talc Trial Involving A Woman With Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- LK Wins Mesothelioma Ruling for Navy Serviceman and Family
- Mesothelioma Law Firm Collects $7.98 Million for Power Plant Worker
- Kayaking for Mesothelioma: Reflections on a Father-Son Trip
- Levy Konigsberg Wins Motion on Behalf of U.S.S. Roan Navy Veteran Who Developed Mesothelioma in New York
- New York City Judge Rules that Asbestos Lung Cancer Case Can Proceed to Trial – Levy Konigsberg, LLP Successfully Argues Defendant Waived their Right to Cross-Examine
- Levy Konigsberg Wins $7 Million Mesothelioma Verdict in NY’s First Ever Asbestos Contaminated Consumer Talcum Powder Trial
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale