Massachusetts Sexual Abuse Lawyers
Award-Winning Representation for Adult & Child Sex Abuse Victims
Levy Konigsberg is a U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” Tier 1-ranked civil trial firm that devotes a substantial portion of our practice to fighting for victims of sexual abuse.
Backed by award-winning trial lawyers, decades of experience, and extensive resources, we help victims fight back against abusers and the institutions that failed to protect them. If you or someone you love were sexually abused as a minor or as an adult in Massachusetts, we want to help.
Reasons to Choose Levy Konigsberg
- Results. We’ve recovered more than $3 billion in compensation for clients.
- Complex Cases. We’ve litigated some of the nation’s largest and most highly publicized cases, securing victories that have set precedent, broken records, and changed the lives of millions.
- Trusted. We’ve been trusted by thousands of colleagues and clients across the country to take on the toughest cases and most powerful adversaries.
Levy Konigsberg has earned national recognition for our work representing sexual abuse survivors. From claims against powerful institutions and public entities to high-profile litigation, we understand the delicate nature of these cases and the strategies that produce meaningful results.
If you have questions about a potential sexual abuse lawsuit in Massachusetts, call (800) 315-3806 or contact us online for a FREE and confidential consultation.
What is the Statute of Limitations for Sexual Abuse Lawsuits in Massachusetts?
In the context of civil cases, the statute of limitations is a deadline by which Plaintiffs must initiate legal action. If a statute of limitations expires, Plaintiffs will not be able to file claims and recover compensation for their damages.
In Massachusetts, state law outlines the statutes of limitations that apply to civil claims based on sexual abuse. These filing deadlines can be difference depending on certain factors, including the nature of alleged wrongdoing and the age of the victim. For example:
MA Sexual Abuse Statute of Limitations for Child Sexual Abuse
Until Massachusetts reformed its statute of limitations, victims of childhood sexual abuse had only three years from their 18th birthday to file a claim for civil damages against individual perpetrators and institutions who negligently supervised their abusers. Fortunately, state lawmakers amended that law, providing individuals who were sexually abused as minors with more time to bring civil claims.
There are two sections of the law that apply to child sexual abuse claims in Massachusetts:
- Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 260 § 4C states thatminor victims of sexual abuse may file civil claims within 35 years since the final act of abuse or within 7 years of discovering that they suffered damages as a result of their abuse,whichever is later.This means that victims may still bring claims even if it has been more than 35 years since their abuse, provided they had not previously discovered the damages associated with their abuse. Additionally, the statute of limitations can be “tolled” until child victims turn 18. This would afford a child victim 35 years from the date they turn 18 to bring a claim.
- Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 260 § 4C-1/2 applies specifically to claims brought against individuals or entities that negligently supervised a person who sexually abused a minor or otherwise caused or contributed to child sexual abuse. This can include churches, schools, and other institutions that failed to protect minors who were abused by employees, volunteers, or others under their supervision. This section of the law provides the same statute of limitations as mentioned above; 35years from the alleged act or 7 years from the time the victim discovered an emotional or psychological injury resulting from their abuse.
MA Statute of Limitations for Adult Sexual Abuse
Massachusetts law has no specific statute of limitations applicable to civil lawsuits involving sexual abuse against adult victims. As such, these claims are treated like other torts and will have the same statute of limitations as claims for personal injury.
Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 260 § 2A, the statute of limitations for filing civil suits over personal injury, also applies to civil sexual abuse claims filed by adult victims. Per the statute, adult victims have just 3 years from the date of abuse to file a claim.
While adults have significantly less time than children to file sexual abuse lawsuits, survivors can still file within this limited time frame by enlisting the help of experienced counsel as soon as possible. In some very limited circumstances, the statute of limitations may also be tolled. This includes claims brought by mentally ill or disabled adults and claims against defendants who have spent time outside of the state.
Our team at Levy Konigsberg can help you further evaluate the statute of limitations in your matter and provide the prompt and experienced representation you need to meet deadlines.
Leaders in Sex Abuse Litigation
Our sexual abuse team at Levy Konigsberg is passionate about our work representing child and adult survivors. And thanks to our attorneys’ experience and insight, we’ve earned the trust of numerous survivors in complex litigation across the country. Some of our recent notable work includes:
- Representing former female inmates abused at New York jails and prisons and various California women’s correctional facilities.
- In November 2022, our firm filed high-profile lawsuits on behalf of numerous women who were sexually abused by corrections officers at the Bayview Correctional Facility. The claims were brought under the NY Adult Survivors Act and were profiled in a NY Daily News cover story earlier in the year.
- Our firm represents a growing number of survivors in litigation over abuse committed by Reginald Archibald, a famed pediatric endocrinologist who is believed to have abused hundreds of patients at Rockefeller University Hospital and the Madison Square Boys and Girls Clubs.
Our firm continues to serve as a strong support system for survivors in search of justice and compensation. With offices nationwide, we’re available to speak with residents of Massachusetts with claims involving abuse in Massachusetts or other states.
Call For a FREE Consultation: (800) 315-3806
Levy Konigsberg is a recognized leader in sexual abuse litigation and is available to speak with survivors and families looking for more information about their rights and options. As a trial practice with a national presence, our Massachusetts sexual abuse attorneys serve clients across the state and beyond.
We offer FREE consultations and value privacy and confidentiality. We also handle cases on contingency, which means there is no up-front cost to hire our team, and no fee unless we win. To speak with a lawyer, call (800) 315-3806.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale