Seattle Mesothelioma Lawyers
Asbestos Exposure Attorneys Serving Clients in Seattle, Washington
Mesothelioma victims and their families may be eligible for compensation to cover medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. Compensation can be obtained through various avenues, including asbestos trust funds, settlements with liable parties, and court verdicts. Our team at Levy Konigsberg has a proven track record of securing significant compensation for our clients.
Our Seattle mesothelioma lawyers have been helping asbestos-exposure victims throughout the state of Washington for nearly 40 years. We are the largest and most successful asbestos law firm in the world, having won landmark asbestos exposure lawsuits and settlements in Seattle and across the United States.
Call (800) 315-3806 or fill out our online contact form today to schedule a free consultation.
What is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive form of cancer that primarily affects the mesothelium, which is the protective lining that covers the body's internal organs. This cancer is closely associated with exposure to asbestos, a naturally occurring mineral composed of thin, microscopic fibers. Mesothelioma typically occurs in the lining of the lungs (pleural mesothelioma), but it can also affect the lining of the abdomen (peritoneal mesothelioma), heart (pericardial mesothelioma), and testicles (testicular mesothelioma).
Symptoms of mesothelioma can vary depending on the type and stage of the disease but may include chest pain, difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, and swelling. Diagnosis typically involves imaging tests, such as CT scans and MRIs, as well as tissue biopsies to confirm the presence of cancerous cells.
Treatment options for mesothelioma may include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and, in some cases, targeted therapies or immunotherapy. The choice of treatment depends on the stage and type of mesothelioma.
What is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring group of minerals that are known for their unique properties, particularly their resistance to heat, fire, and chemical degradation. Due to these characteristics, asbestos was widely used in various industrial, construction, and manufacturing applications. There are several types of asbestos minerals, but the most common ones include chrysotile (white asbestos), amosite (brown asbestos), and crocidolite (blue asbestos). These minerals are composed of tiny, microscopic fibers.
Key characteristics of asbestos include:
- Fire and Heat Resistance: Asbestos is highly heat-resistant and does not burn. This property made it attractive for use in various products designed to withstand high temperatures, such as insulation materials, fireproofing, and protective clothing.
- Durability: Asbestos is strong, durable, and resistant to wear and tear, making it suitable for use in construction materials and automotive components.
- Insulation Properties: Asbestos has excellent insulating properties, both for temperature and electricity. This made it a popular choice for insulating homes, buildings, and electrical systems.
- Soundproofing: Asbestos can be used for soundproofing due to its ability to absorb and dampen sound.
- Resistance to Chemicals: Asbestos is resistant to many chemicals, which made it valuable in applications where chemical exposure was a concern.
Asbestos was used in a wide range of products and materials, including:
- Insulation materials
- Roofing materials
- Floor tiles
- Ceiling tiles
- Cement sheets
- Pipe insulation
- Brake linings and pads
- Clutch facings
- Boiler insulation
- Fireproof clothing
- Electrical insulation
- Ironing board covers
- Pot holders
Symptoms of Mesothelioma
The symptoms of mesothelioma can vary depending on the type of mesothelioma and the stage of the disease. There are four main types of mesothelioma, each with its own set of symptoms:
Pleural Mesothelioma (affecting the lining of the lungs - pleura):
- Chest Pain: Patients often experience chest pain that may be sharp or a dull, aching sensation.
- Shortness of Breath: Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath is a common symptom as the tumor and fluid buildup in the pleura can compress the lungs.
- Persistent Cough: A chronic cough that does not improve over time may develop.
- Coughing Up Blood: Coughing up blood or blood-tinged sputum can occur.
Peritoneal Mesothelioma (affecting the lining of the abdomen - peritoneum):
- Abdominal Pain: Persistent and often severe abdominal pain is a typical symptom.
- Abdominal Swelling: The abdomen may become distended due to the accumulation of fluid (ascites).
- Weight Loss: Unintended weight loss is common.
- Nausea and Vomiting: Patients may experience nausea and vomiting.
Pericardial Mesothelioma (affecting the lining of the heart - pericardium):
- Chest Pain: Chest pain is a primary symptom.
- Heart Palpitations: Irregular heartbeat or palpitations may occur.
- Difficulty Breathing: Shortness of breath is common due to fluid buildup around the heart.
- Fatigue: Patients often feel fatigued or have a reduced ability to engage in physical activities.
Testicular Mesothelioma (affecting the lining of the testicles):
- Swelling or Mass: Patients may notice a painless swelling or mass in the testicles.
- Pain or Discomfort: Some individuals experience discomfort or pain in the testicular area.
Who is Liable for Mesothelioma?
Liability for mesothelioma typically falls on individuals or entities responsible for exposing individuals to asbestos, which is the primary cause of mesothelioma. Identifying and holding liable parties accountable is often a crucial part of seeking compensation for the medical expenses, suffering, and loss caused by mesothelioma.
The potential liable parties can include:
- Employers: Employers who exposed their workers to asbestos-containing materials without proper protective measures may be held liable. This applies to various industries, including construction, shipbuilding, manufacturing, and mining, where workers had a heightened risk of asbestos exposure.
- Manufacturers: Companies that produced asbestos-containing products, such as insulation materials, building materials, automotive parts, and more, can be held liable. These manufacturers may be responsible for failing to adequately warn workers and consumers about the health risks associated with asbestos exposure.
- Property Owners: Owners of properties where asbestos-containing materials were present may be held liable if they did not take appropriate steps to address the asbestos risks during renovation or demolition, or if they failed to inform contractors and workers of the presence of asbestos.
- Asbestos Abatement Contractors: Companies hired to remove or handle asbestos-containing materials must adhere to strict safety regulations. If they failed to follow proper abatement procedures, they could be liable for asbestos exposure and subsequent health issues.
- Asbestos Trust Funds: Some asbestos manufacturers have established trust funds to compensate mesothelioma victims. These trust funds may be held liable for compensation, especially if the responsible manufacturer has gone bankrupt.
- Secondary Exposure Parties: Individuals who were exposed to asbestos fibers brought home on the clothing of family members working in high-risk industries may also seek compensation from liable parties, as they can develop mesothelioma due to secondary exposure.
- Third Parties: Other entities, such as contractors, suppliers, or distributors who were involved in the asbestos-containing product supply chain, may also bear liability.
- Government Agencies: In some cases, government agencies that knowingly allowed asbestos exposure to occur in workplaces or public buildings may be held liable.
Why Choose Levy Konigsberg?
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma in Seattle, you don't have to face this difficult journey alone. Levy Konigsberg is here to support you. Our team of dedicated Seattle mesothelioma lawyers is committed to providing you with the legal expertise and compassion you need during this challenging time.
Here are several reasons why you should choose our firm:
- Proven Track Record: Levy Konigsberg has a long history of successfully representing mesothelioma victims. We have recovered substantial compensation for thousands of clients nationwide.
- Expertise in Mesothelioma Cases: Our attorneys specialize in asbestos-related cases and are experts in identifying liable parties, investigating exposure history, and building strong legal arguments.
- Personalized Attention: We understand the unique challenges mesothelioma victims face, and we provide compassionate and personalized legal representation to ensure our clients' needs are met.
- Local Presence: Our Seattle office is staffed with experienced attorneys who are well-acquainted with Washington state laws and regulations.
- No Fees Unless We Win: We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you only pay legal fees if we successfully recover compensation for you.
Contact us today at (800) 315-3806 for a free case evaluation.
Find out whether you have a case by speaking to one of our experienced lawyers via our 24/7 toll-free hotline or by submitting an email inquiry. Our attorneys will be quick to respond to you and happy to answer all of your questions.
Over $3 Billion Won
We have represented numerous individuals and groups of workers, winning for them multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
There's No Case Too Big
Our team has achieved groundbreaking victories in highly complex cases and has gone up against some of the toughest defendants in the country.
Our attorneys excel in the courtroom and are not afraid to bring a case in front of a jury if a fair settlement for the client has not been reached.
A Thought Leader in the Industry
Our firm's knowledge and experience are in high demand, and many news outlets have asked us to share our legal expertise.
Access to World Class Resources
Our experienced attorneys use cutting-edge technology and highly regarded experts to help us achieve the best possible result for our clients.
Changing the World for Good
We not only want to achieve the best possible results for our clients, but we also strive to prevent future harm by changing public health policies.
Professional, responsive and very good at their jobs.- Lisa Ross
They have truly gone above and beyond.- Anne Fahey
I put my Faith and Trust into Corey Stern!- Dennis McGowan
With this team on my side we came out on top.- Angie Garrido
Very happy with our settlement.- Lori Rosa
Wow is all I can say.- Carol N.
Their dedication to receive the highest results for their clients was amazing.- Emily DeRogatis
Such a great team!- Kevin Kober
We definitely got the right law firm!- Mark Wells
Levy Konigsberg continued to help my family fight for the justice my father deserves.- Stephanie Vitale